[NCAP-Discuss] Data needed for Study 2 Harm Analysis

Matt Larson matt.larson at icann.org
Fri Apr 3 14:00:45 UTC 2020

Danny,

On Apr 2, 2020, at 11:07 AM, Danny McPherson <danny at tcb.net<mailto:danny at tcb.net>> wrote:

The NCAP working group is executing the defined goals outlined in the final SSAC Proposal for the Name Collision Analysis Project[1]. The first goal was to “examine all prior work on the issue of name collisions and produce a summary report that brings forwards important knowledge from prior work into this study, and which can act as a primer for those new to the subject.”  The report has done exactly that, IMO.

Now the group is working on the second and third goals in which “The second goal is to create a data repository with all the supporting rules in place as to how the data will be managed and processed and the third goal is to gather data from past studies, identify gaps, if any, and secure any additional data that is required.” It's unclear too me how identifying the data set gaps are in some way wasting time and money? The role of the "independent neutral *reporter*" was to produce a summary report - not to be a name collision expert and identify data gaps – that is supposed to be the role of the WG, where many of us have subject matter expertise.

I'll defer to the trio of chairs if I've missed something, but I don't think so...

The three goals you're quoting are out of date. They were revised based on discussions between OCTO and SSAC that led to the Study 1 proposal that was approved by the Board. The first goal remained the same. The second goal, the data repository, was moved from Study 1 to Study 2: if subsequent studies don't happen, setting up the data repository as part of Study 1 would be unnecessary effort. The third goal became a meta-analysis of gaps in the data used in previous studies rather than gathering the data itself.

The SOW that Karen is working from was copied directly from the RFP documentation, which was reviewed by the SSAC Admin committee. Please see sections 2.3.1 and 2.3.2 of the main NCAP RFP document<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/rfp-ncap-study-1-09jul19-en.pdf> on the ICANN web RFP page<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/rfps-en> for a more complete description of the tasks and deliverables for Study 1.

Matt