[NCAP-Discuss] Revised draft of NCAP Study 1 report

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Thu Feb 6 17:56:57 UTC 2020

Danny - I am responding in part for Karen's benefit since other panelists may already be aware of deliberations in Sub Pro on the name collisions topic.

I think you are correct that the data referenced in Work Track 4 of Sub Pro was not conclusive.   NCAP is in a position to be more thorough.   I applaud the Sub Pro Work Track 4 work led by Jeff and Rubens related to a possible recommendation to create a "DO NOT APPLY" list and to develop a method for identifying levels of risk in the low, medium, and high categories for strings not designated as "DO NOT APPLY".  I am not sure how these categories discussed in Sub Pro would relate to a possible recommendation to allow registrants to submit mitigation plans to be analyzed by ICANN on a "String-by-string" basis.  (That seems a bit unwieldy and expensive and no mention was made of a possibility for public comment on such individualized mitigation proposals.)

Although Sub Pro has not yet considered the language of its Final Report, some in Sub Pro Leadership have said that since no Consensus appears to exist on adopting a new Name Collision Framework, the Sub Pro WG is required to fall back to the 90-day Controlled Interruption practice used in the 2012 round,   However,  numerous public commenters filed comment on the Sub Pro Initial Report stating that Sub Pro should "defer to the SSAC".  I assume the Sub Pro Final Report will note the "deference to SSAC" but it appears possible that Leadership may not feel comfortable designating that as a Consensus opinion.  (I am sure Jeff and Rubens will advise when that discussion occurs - and may even send the proposed text of  the Final Report to the NCAP if we establish a way to work together.)

Thanks to Jim for adding the note about "consider the work of Sub Pro" to the Discussion notes on answering the Board's questions.     Notably, Sub Pro has no jurisdiction over policy recommendations in relation to the .HOME, .CORP, or .MAIL.  applications made in 2012 that have not been withdrawn.  But it's reasonable to assume that if the GNSO recommends (and the Board approves) submission of individual mitigation proposals relative to future applied-for strings on a case-by-case basis, those 2012 applicants would be quite likely to press for similar consideration.

Anne

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel

520.629.4428 office