[NCAP-Discuss] [Ext] Revised draft of NCAP Study 1 report

Rubens Kuhl rubens at registro.br
Sat Feb 8 23:00:40 UTC 2020

> As the Verisign researcher noted in the request to participate in the ORDINAL project, Verisign had no intent of using the ORDINAL dataset for commercial purposes.  We only intended on using the telemetry of the ORDINAL project to expand on previous theories as to why and how names are leaked into the public DNS.  Our expectation is that, as provider of the dataset to IMPACT, JAS Advisors understood this commitment and our non-commercial intent.

While I can't speculate on what Verisign would do with ORDINAL, to this date every data point available to Verisign was used in a commercial way, as an anti-competitive tool to delay delegation of more TLDs or to paint those TLDs as security threats. So, that affirmation would be difficult to take at face value.

Rubens