[NCAP-Discuss] next steps for the discussion group

James Galvin jgalvin at afilias.info
Wed Jun 10 20:33:55 UTC 2020

First, we want to thank everyone who has been participating (and
observing as we have had a couple of regular observers) to the work so
far.  It is a great thing to have as many folks as we’ve had
contributing!

The NCAP Admin Committee has just had a meeting to consider the question
of what our next steps could be.  We believe there are at least 4 tasks
in front of us.  In no particular order, these tasks are as follows.

* Review of name collision definition

* Consideration of .corp, .home, and .mail, per the Board resolution

* Continue work on the 9 questions by doing the analysis in Studies 2
and 3 with what we have

* Review Studies 2 and 3 as currently proposed in the original NCAP
Proposal and propose revisions as appropriate

What the NCAP Admin Committee is prioritizing is the last task for us to
act on in this discussion group.  We will review the current proposal
and consider what, if anything, we need to change.  It’s been more
than 2 years since the original proposal was drafted.  Given the
additional understanding and experience that comes with the last 2 years
I’m sure there are changes to consider.

Separately you’ll be reminded of the full project proposal on the Wiki
by Kim.  She will setup two Google docs for us, one for each of the
Study 2 and 3 proposals, which she will excerpt from the full project
proposal for us.

If we create revised proposals we will submit these as a work product to
the SSAC, who will be responsible for passing them to the Board for
consideration when they review the funding for continued NCAP work.

The discussion group will begin this process next week, 17 June, at our
usual meeting time.  We will not meet the week of the ICANN68 Kuala
Lumpur virtual meeting.  Beginning 1 July we will meet weekly and
continue our project proposal review and pick up the other tasks as
appropriate.

Thanks again for your participation!

Jim, Patrik, and Matt Thomas
co-Chairs NCAP