[NCAP-Discuss] [Ext] Top-level Domains for Private Internets IETF draft

Roy Arends roy.arends at icann.org
Tue Jun 16 00:26:04 UTC 2020

Hi Warren,

> On 16 Jun 2020, at 00:52, Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:
>
> > To answer your question of why the IETF:
> >
> > 1) In RFC 8499, the IETF makes a distinction between what it considers the Global DNS (ICANN’s remit) and Private DNS (IETF remit).
>
> Can you please point to *where* in RFC 8499 ("DNS Terminology", https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8499/

I wanted to avoid my already lengthy email with long epistels, so I choose a shorthand that was short, and in hindsight, too loose. Apologies for that.

I was trying to motivate that Private DNS was explicitly outside the Global DNS. While ICANN has a role in Global DNS, do you think that ICANN has a role in Private DNS?

From RFC8499:

Private DNS:  Names that use the protocol described in [RFC1035] but
      that do not rely on the global DNS root zone or names that are
      otherwise not generally available on the Internet but are using
      the protocol described in [RFC1035].

Warmly,

Roy