[NCAP-Discuss] [Ext] Re: Draft final Study 1 report

Karen Scarfone karen at scarfonecybersecurity.com
Tue May 5 19:01:05 UTC 2020

Thanks, Eric, I’m looking forward to reading your review. You raise a valid point that the lack of recent academic research is not sufficient to say that there’s no need to try new remediation strategies. It would be more accurate for me to say that in the past three years, there has been minimal publicly observable activity outside ICANN regarding name collisions and remediation. To me this implies that only ICANN might be significantly concerned about name collisions or remediation in general (excepting the investigation of one-off instances like WPAD). Again, that doesn’t mean new remediation strategies aren’t needed, and it doesn’t mean ICANN shouldn’t be studying name collision remediation, but it indicates a general lack of interest in and concern for the topic. I think that’s a significant finding.

Karen