[NCAP-Discuss] regarding definition of name collision - discussion group task

James Galvin jgalvin at afilias.info
Wed May 6 20:08:06 UTC 2020

In our meeting of 6 May 2020, we had an extended discussion about the
definition of name collision as used in the Study 1 Work Product.  In
particular, without going in to a lot of detail here, re-registrations
are included in the definition of name collisions as used in the
aforementioned work product.

It is important to note that the definition of name collisions was
developed by this discussion group about a year ago, declared to be
stable (i.e., it could be revisited later if some analysis made that
necessary), and was thus given to OCTO to include as the basis for the
research done to produce the Study 1 Work Product.

It is clear from the discussion on the mailing list and in the meeting
discussion today (please check the recording and the transcript for
details) that there is support for revisiting the current definition of
name collisions.  The concern is that re-registrations, as defined by
Item 4 in the discussion group definition and by Items B.b and B.c in
the Study 1 Work Product, may not be a name collision and thus should
not be in scope.  There are certainly risks with this type of
registration but we need to reconsider whether or not this scenario
rises to being a name collision.

With this message, this is an important topic and the co-Chairs want to
call out of the meeting the group’s decision to open and revisit the
definition and address this question as soon as possible.

Jim