[NCAP-Discuss] ICANN says NFT's are a possible threat to the DNS

Jothan Frakes jothan at jothan.com
Wed Dec 22 12:39:02 UTC 2021

Hi Tom and happy holidays and new year to you and the NCAP discussion group.

I saw an article about this over on Domain Name Wire and responded after
confirming with the director of operations at ENS.

The NFT in this case was a gimmick for PR to promote UNR's efforts to bring
as many parties to participate in the bidding process when they were
attempting to sell off UNR TLDs.

The ENS project is complementary to ICP-3 and will not be generating name
collisions beyond .ETH, which would have been unavailable due to it being
ISO 3166 for Ethiopia and unlikely to get delegated under general
circumstances.

Where TLDs are expressed in the ENS, they would be a TLD delegated via the
ROOT maintained by the IANA.  They are not creating any additional TLDs
beyond those in the root managed under ICP-3

I suspect that the ENS project that won't collide was lumped in with the
other blockchain _stuff_, like Unstoppable Domains or Handshake that have
been inventing new namespace that will collide once application time would
open with ICANN.

I describe the situation and possibility there are misunderstandings in my
response on DNW.
https://domainnamewire.com/2021/12/21/nfts-trip-up-uniregistrys-top-level-domain-auctions/#comment-2266982

Jothan Frakes
Tel: +1.206-355-0230