[NCAP-Discuss] NCAP DG Update

Thomas, Matthew mthomas at verisign.com
Wed May 19 17:15:44 UTC 2021

 NCAP Discussion Group,

As you are all aware, today’s NCAP Discussion Group call has been cancelled; however, the chairs would like to provide you all with an update about the various efforts that are currently underway. There are five main work items we’d like to highlight:

  1.  Root Cause Analysis: Matt Larson is continuing to procure the technical resource who will perform an analysis of the existing ICANN name collision reports.

  1.  Data Questions: The data question document we reviewed has been slightly revised and we’ve contacted several root operators to see if they are capable and willing to provide those measurements.

  1.  Board Questions: We continue to encourage the DG to think about and to contribute text/thoughts to the nine Board questions. The co-chairs and Heather are in the process of reviewing the discussion group’s existing notes and she is producing a more structured format/summary.

  1.  CORP/HOME/MAIL Case Study: Steve Sheng and John Kristoff are in the process of revisiting the data measurements we analyzed from A and J root in January and February and they working to produce a more “formal” case study for these collision strings soon.

  1.  Name Collision Analysis Process Flow: The co-chairs are continuing to develop and refine an overarching name collision analysis process diagram that will accompany the answers to the Board questions. We will share this with the DG when it reaches a presentable state.

The NCAP DG will meet on May 26 to review these items and continue making progress forward on Study 2 goals and objectives. The NCAG DG may potentially meet on June 2nd if there is material to present or discuss. ICANN 71 will be taking place in June and as we have done in the past, the NCAP DG will not convene the week before, during, and after the ICANN event.  The NCAP DG will resume on June 30. We anticipate significant progress on the five efforts will occur during our NCAP DG hiatus. The chairs are going to provide weekly updates on Wednesdays, whenever we don’t actually meet.

See you all next week!

Best,

Matt, Jim, and Patrik