[NCAP-Discuss] Root Cause Analysis Report - Part 1 (draft)

Casey Deccio casey at deccio.net
Tue Nov 30 21:06:49 UTC 2021

Dear all,

I have written a document entitled "Root Cause Analysis - wpad.domain.name", which is the first report related to root cause analysis of the reports submitted via the ICANN Name Collisions Submission form.  While the report is not yet in its final form, it is at a point where it is mostly ready for the larger group to review and offer any feedback.

A few notes:

- There are still some pending to-do items, which remain as comments (some with replies) in the document.  I will continue investigating those and will update the document as I go.

- The references are currently not formatted properly.  For the time being I have simply embedded URLs or other significant identifiers, so I can go back and fill those in appropriately.  That will help me with later formatting.

- The overall format might also change, but I've initially written it in a google doc to make it easy to share and receive feedback.

- The document is written as a mostly stand-alone document that is very specific to its purpose - a report on root cause analysis of the reports relating to wpad.domain.name issues.  There are some references to new gTLDs and NCAP (see introduction, the section on "Home Router Default Domain Name", and the conclusion), but they are sort of subtle. That is intentional to keep the narrative straight and focused.  There will likely be a separate document to bridge the gap between this report and its sibling reports and/or the NCAP document.

Here is the link to the updated document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y5jcWeH3gOKzxtF7_BnqNdwbbvlyqvshNVIZvJ19wDg/edit?usp=sharing

I would kindly like to ask that the document is *not* shared outside the NCAP group at this point, without permission.

Thanks,
Casey