[NCAP-Discuss] Name collision timeline

Jeff Schmidt jschmidt at jasadvisors.com
Tue Aug 2 16:57:47 UTC 2022

This diagram implies that all steps are done for all strings in sequence. My understanding from the team call 2 weeks ago is that if and how the TRT used the arrows in their quiver would be left to their expert discretion and applied as-needed on a string-by-string basis. This chart over-specifies their work, unnecessarily. And as discussed we all agree that all steps will be unnecessary for all but a very few (or zero) identified Black Swans.

The flow should be:

Application Submitted
Name Collision Analysis by TRT
Fork in the road:
                TRT identifies potential Black Swan: More technical research, offramps, honeypots, *CA, etc
                (default) passes the check and proceeds

Additional thoughts:

Contention Sets can be safely ignored by the TRT, unless the identified string is a Black Swan. Then the “who” and compensating controls (applicant’s specific use case) may become an issue. For example, a theoretical application from Microsoft for .corp should be viewed differently than someone wanting to use .corp as a generic. These will need to be worked on a case-by-case basis as they are highly situation dependent.

The TRT should do their work in batch after strings have been released publicly. This will somewhat mitigate risks of gaming and maintain an even field for applicants. The 2012 round contained a “DNS Stability Review” – which was essentially a check for technical Black Swans. The DNS Stability Review was performed by independent technical experts (in 2012 ICANN contracted with Interisle to perform this function) (AGB 2.2.1.3, p. 62). No reason not to use the same approach in future rounds and simply augment guidance provided to the contractor for collisions. No need to make this more complicated.

Jeff