[NCAP-Discuss] Root Cause Analysis Reports - Final Call for Comments

Thomas, Matthew mthomas at verisign.com
Mon Aug 8 23:23:09 UTC 2022

Dear all,

I have taken some time to review the additional section added to the Root Cause Study that looks at the impact of Qname Minimization (QNM).  I have some fundamental concerns about the analysis and do not agree with the conclusion stated in this new section. Here is a summary of my non-editorial concerns:

Section 7.3.1

  1.  The criteria for classifying IPs to be qname minimizing is not motivated and supported by any data or evidence. Why is the five-query threshold appropriate? Why is the 100% single label query restriction appropriate? Given what we know about recursive resolvers it seems the former is too little, and the latter is too much.
  2.  There is no ground truth knowledge of what a QNM resolver should look like. To determine qname minimizing behavior, a baseline needs to be established. Profiling known implementations of qname minimizing resolvers would provide an appropriate set of heuristics (Per Warren’s comments). Currently, the heuristics used provide no assurance this is an accurate selection of QNM resolvers. This newly selection criteria should be clearly stated why it doesn’t rely on existing knowledge [1], which already shows a variety of differences in QNM behavior from recursive resolvers that are not captured in this measurement.
  3.  The selection criteria ignores a more selective QNM criteria defined in the RFC such as the Qtype (e.g., A and NS) and excludes multiple implementations of QNM techniques (e.g., nonce second level labels, underscore labels, asterisk labels, etc.).
  4.  Qname minimization measurements that are broadened to the ASN are overly vague and do not reflect an accurate portrayal. A single IP that exhibits this five-query selection criteria could potentially include thousands of other querying sources that are not QNM adherent within that ASN. Furthermore, measurements at the IP level are from a name collision perspective measurement, are also misrepresented. Rapid expansion at the root via IPv6 via a few ISPs shows why such a measurement is biased and non-representative. What matters is the total leakage rate.
  5.  The percentage of queries increasing then subsequently decreasing during the span of 2018-2021 needs to take into consideration exogenous factors.  Things such as the impacts of Chromium queries and their subsequent reduction. Especially given the selection criteria used and the properties of Chromium queries.
  6.  The drop in collisions in 2015 should be expected due to caching behavior and it is an unfair to compare NXD query rates to positive referral query rates.
  7.  A large public recursive resolver that implemented QNM, which would not be captured via the “no query with a qname having more than one label” criteria, is excluded from this analysis and represents upwards of nearly 7% of all A root traffic – which is a significant gap when the 7.3.1 figure shows only 14% of total queries are QNM in 2021 (e.g., a 50% measurement gap based on the selection criteria used).

Section 7.3.2

  1.  This section makes a measurement that is not motivated by any data or evidence that an IP address will persist at the RSS over multiple years.  While the assumptions made in this section might “greatly simplify the data and the analysis”, it does not provide any reasoning or rationale as to why it is appropriate to do so.

Conclusion

I believe my concerns here are substantial enough that the conclusion cannot be supported by the data. The current analysis is biased based on an unmotivated set of heuristics to determine QNM deployment and that IP persistence within the RSS can be measured accurately longitudinally.

Matt Thomas
Verisign

[1] https://www.nlnetlabs.nl/downloads/publications/devries2019.pdf