[NCAP-Discuss] Root Cause Analysis Reports - Final Call for Comments

Casey Deccio casey at deccio.net
Tue Aug 9 17:00:16 UTC 2022

> On Aug 8, 2022, at 4:31 PM, Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:
>
> Erm, insert my disclaimer about having missed some calls here.
>
> Apologies if I missed this in the document, but I read it, and then also searched for terms like 'aggressive' and 'nsec' and RFC8198 similar, with no luck.

Hi Warren,

Thanks for this.  To be clear, unlike the name collisions analyses that are about assessing collisions pre-deployment, this root cause analysis has very little to do with negative responses.  Most of the new gTLDs analyzed in the report were delegated before aggressive negative caching was even a thing (even for Google public DNS)--resulting in *positive* responses from the root.  In fact, of the 885 studied, 97% of them were delegated by the end of 2016, seven months before RFC 8198 was published.

It is for this reason that I have not included any text on aggressive negative caching.  However, if you or others feel that it would be appropriate to add some text indicating that it does not apply, I am happy to.

Casey