[NCAP-Discuss] Update on wpad.domain.name

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Feb 16 15:56:32 UTC 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjmtVKOAHPM

> Verisign also contacted the registrar of record to enquire about its use.
> The registrar acknowledged the security threat WPAD poses, and they placed
> the domain on clientHold, which prevents the domain to resolve.

So, as a meta comment, I think that ICANN / NCAP / the Internet community
owes a large debt of thanks to Matt and Verisign for jumping in and helping
fix these sorts of issues. This is only one of the many that he's helped
fix for the good of the Internet.
I've previously done some similar type mitigations, and it's always a large
amount of annoying grunge work trying to reach the right people, educating
them on the issues, dealing with their grumpiness for having created extra
work for them, and then following up.

I much prefer snarking at people and companies, but Matt's doing awesome
work here.

> Matt Thomas
>
> Verisign
>

> [1]
> http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-newgtld-wg-wt4/2017-October/000187.html
>
> [2]
> https://supportannouncement.us.dlink.com/announcement/publication.aspx?name=SAP10268

The computing scientist’s main challenge is not to get confused by the
complexities of his own making.
  -- E. W. Dijkstra