[NCAP-Discuss] Reflecting on the 'big picture' and making our outputs helpful to the Community

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lewisroca.com
Wed Feb 16 18:48:04 UTC 2022

Jeff and Rubens,
Having participated actively in Sub Pro, I am not surprised by the approach you have both taken in your comments, though they do seem to be a bit “late-breaking” in terms of the process the DG has been following. The Workflow document has been around for a long time.

I’ll also note that Sub Pro Recommendations in the Final Report (adopted by the GNSO Council and sent to the ICANN Board) state that

(1)    ICANN should develop a DO NOT APPLY list for names that have too great a risk of potential harm.  (The potential harms were identified in NCAP Study 1).

(2)    Any New Name Collision Framework coming out of the NCAP process and recommended to the Board by SSAC (which is adopted by the Board in time for the next round) should govern.  Considering the projected time frame for the ODP, there should be ample time for this  process to “dovetail” the development of an AGB.  And the ODP notes that this issue of a possible new Name Collision Framework has to be resolved.

Reports of name collision issues to ICANN based on the 2012 round and the “lack of litigation” in this realm is not a reliable measure for answering the issues raised by NCAP Study 1 or the Board’s specific questions to the SSAC on this topic.  Those Board questions have been guiding the work of the DG for months and there is also recognition that the DNS is not static.

I don’t think NCAP DG is a forum designed to revisit the policy work already done in Sub Pro and the Recommendations that came out of that process.  And I don’t think the NCAP DG can ignore the specific questions posed by the Board and the results of Study 1 by simply saying – “well, it seems to us it all went just fine in the 2012 round.”
Anne

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel

AAikman at lewisroca.com<mailto:AAikman at lewisroca.com>