[NCAP-Discuss] why enhanced controlled interruption - not legal

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lewisroca.com
Mon Feb 21 20:28:38 UTC 2022

Thanks Jim.  I note the following statement has been an underlying premise of our discussions for quite some time now – I believe from the first review of the draft Workflow document.

"ECI exists because it is currently the only mechanism that has been proposed to obtain sufficient information to develop a mitigation or remediation plan.  We can certainly note the additional risks that the ICANN Board will need to consider, that are outside the technical scope of our work."

I support the approach taken by your email below in relation to identification of risks and corresponding legal issues that would have to be addressed.   I also note that getting to the bottom of these issues may be very important to being able to conduct Study 3, which is designed to develop mitigation strategies.   In other words, it looks to me as though appropriate mitigation strategies cannot be developed without ECI and that an inability to proceed to that step means more strings with high Impact (Volume and Diversity) will simply be ruled “not approved for delegation”.

Anne

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel

AAikman at lewisroca.com