[NCAP-Discuss] Enhanced Controlled Interruption and Predictability

Tom Barrett tbarrett at encirca.com
Thu Feb 24 15:46:24 UTC 2022

The Board's overarching goal should be to prevent or minimize consumer harm
in approving new delegations.

I don't think it is relevant whether potential collisions are accidental or
deliberate.  In either case, whether the potential collisions become actual
collisions is entirely under ICANN's control and the Board will still want
to be able to understand the consumer harm that would be caused with a new
delegation.

This simply may not align with giving predictability to new gtld
applicants.

Since assessing consumer harm is beyond the remit of the NCAP's current
study, I suspect that they will return to SSAC and ask for another study.

Tom

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#m_-8778590085366565544_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 10:01 AM Jeff Neuman <jeff at jjnsolutions.com> wrote:

> Anne,
>

> That is a misstatement of SubPro Recommendations:
>

> Here is what it says:  “The Working Group affirms continued use of the New
> gTLD Collision Occurrence Management framework unless and until the ICANN
> Board adopts a new mitigation framework.”  It references the NCAP in the
> rationale of course as working on the issue, but it never just delegated
> all policy to the NCAP or SSAC to decide.  That is no where in the
> recommendations or rationale.  The SubPro Recommendation never states that
> the GNSO waives all of its policy development rights in favor of the NCAP
> Study Group.  In fact, it is quite the opposite by stating “The Working
> Group agreed that it is up to the ICANN community and ICANN Board of
> Directors to determine any dependencies between the NCAP and the next round
> of new gTLD applications” See
> https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/final-report-newgtld-subsequent-procedures-pdp-20jan21-en.pdf,
> starting on Page 134 (Topic 29).
>

> So, putting the recommendations of SubPro aside for the moment, I am not
> saying that the SSAC should develop the mitigation plans, but rather that
> this group, the SSAC, and the community need to make the process incredibly
> predictable and provide guidelines to applicants (and instructions) on how
> to create an acceptable mitigation plan.  ICANN can ask an applicant to
> submit a mitigation plan addressing the issues found, but who the heck is
> going to know how to come up with an acceptable mitigation plan.  There are
> very few experts globally that even know what name collision means, much
> less know what the implications of collision are.  I would venture to say
> that there are even few people that would know how to draft a Name
> Collision mitigation plan, especially because we cant even quantify the
> harm that needs to be mitigated.  In short, it is an impossible task that
> is fraught with unknown subjectivity depending on the beliefs, expertise
> and biases of the evaluator.  That is a process to me that is doomed to
> fail, cause expensive litigation, and in exchange for what?  ---- Trying to
> solve a situation which we really will never know is a problem or not.
>

> Yes, we have data that there are collisions going on.  Great.  We have no
> idea if it is causing actual harm, no idea if those causing the collisions
> actually know or care about the collisions, have no idea whether the
> collisions are intentional or accidental, etc.  Yet, by requiring
> “mitigation”, we are assuming (a) the collisions are unintentional, (b)
> they are causing harm, (c) the benefit of implementing controlled
> interruption is greater than the risks associated with the name collision,
> etc……
>

> Having lots of data with no understanding of what it means is not a great
> way to set policies that can have significant repercussions and costs.

> [...]

Thomas Barrett
President
EnCirca, Inc
+1.781.942.9975 (office)