[NCAP-Discuss] why enhanced controlled interruption - not legal

Thomas, Matthew mthomas at verisign.com
Fri Feb 25 15:26:34 UTC 2022

A server can be configured to have various ports open but nothing would actually be listening on those ports via a set of IPTABLE rules. The connection attempts would be logged but no data would be exchanged besides what is basically in the IP headers - IP address, port, and you would probably add a timestamp. This still enables the identification of clients and understanding of what services/ports they are trying to attempt to reach.

On 2/25/22, 9:51 AM, "Jeff Schmidt" <jschmidt at jasadvisors.com> wrote:

    Caution: This email originated from outside the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

    Please explain specifically how the envisioned honeyport may be conducted as not to cause data exfiltration.