[NCAP-Discuss] why enhanced controlled interruption - not legal

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Fri Feb 25 19:59:35 UTC 2022

On 2022-02-25 14:33, Jeff Schmidt wrote:

> CI is the best imperfect solution to a problem with no perfect
> solutions. Four years (!) of NCAP wheel-spinning all but proves this;
> no one has come up with anything better.

Not true.  Verisign (and WarrenK) did active outreach for dozens of
strings that directly resulted in billions of queries per day going away
and more properly configured end systems leading to a more secure
internet.  The results of that are in the NCAP trove here.

Had the "wheel-spinning" cycles consumed here just did some active
outreach perhaps we'd be done now :-)

Did anyone study whether CI had a material impact on the diversity
and/or volume of collisions seen at the freshly delegated TLD level?
It's unfortunate there was no requirement for that information to be
reported or analyzed at that level - that would certainly help me better
characterize the efficacy of CI.  FWIW, I think CI was clever, just not
sure how effective.

-danny