[NCAP-Discuss] Last call for A Perspective Study of DNS Queries for Non-Existent Top-Level Domains

Casey Deccio casey at deccio.net
Tue Jan 25 21:19:45 UTC 2022

Jim, thanks for the response.

Two comments:

1. My concerns have been grossly misrepresented in your response.  My concerns are not about "incomplete data" but about using only a biased subset of available data to drive conclusions.  The "collisions" document works from the same data set as the "perspective" document (for the root server analysis), and I do not have the same concerns with the "collisions" document because it does not suffer from the same data issues.  Also, the conclusions drawn from the "perspective" document are very different from that of the "collisions" document; the incongruence is glaring.

2. Even in the case where there is incomplete data (e.g., the recursive resolver data), the fact that the set is incomplete is not my concern.  The concern is making comparisons that are unfair or biased with the data that we have, and drawing conclusions from those comparisons.

While I understand that my text was lengthy, I've made some effort to organize my thoughts.  I am happy to answer further questions, but I encourage you and others to read and evaluate those concerns.

Finally, I reference the following statement from your email:

> ...the consensus of the past several months of analysis discussion is that the Discussion Group believes the document is ready to be released for public comment.

I agree that there have been discussions over the past several months, and perhaps absence of objection is consensus.  But having a document in hand for review is a completely different matter than simply discussing it in a meeting.  The document was first posted on Dec 21, right before the holiday season for many of us, and with significant changes having been integrated in the document just in the past week and a half.  So... can there really be consensus with the document at this point?

Casey