[NCAP-Discuss] [Ext] Re: An Approach to Measuring Name Collisions Using Online Advertisement

rubensk at nic.br rubensk at nic.br
Thu Jun 9 15:04:16 UTC 2022

> On 9 Jun 2022, at 10:12, Thomas, Matthew <mthomas at verisign.com> wrote:
>
> Look at the Interisle report page 70 and 71.  The following TLDs were ranked higher (based on query volume) than mail and all of these TLDs had ICANN name collision reports.
>
> Network (7 reports)
> Ads (4 reports)
> Prod (4 reports)
> Dev (3 reports)
> Office (1 report)
> Site (1 report)
>
> Our case study shows .Mail is not completely dotless queries (54% are single labels – of course Qname Min could be increasing that amount).

Matt,

One can only see the actual .mail x other strings figure comparing queries at huuuuuge recursive servers and root servers. Look at only one of the two, and you will get a biased view, exactly because of the dotless feature.
Both Interisle and VRSN had no access to recursive data that is representative, unfortunately.

Rubens