[NCAP-Discuss] [Ext] Re: An Approach to Measuring Name Collisions Using Online Advertisement

Jothan Frakes jothan at jothan.com
Thu Jun 9 18:41:50 UTC 2022

IF it ends up there becomes a test TLD for this, I think coordinating it
into the Public Suffix List will give a better indication of how browsers
would behave.  That said, we are incredibly pedantic about ICP-3 adherence,
or vetting via some I* org.

Otherwise, rule 1 is that we serve up a hot cup of "NOPE" for things like
this.

 I SUSPECT a test TLD could be tried, as there is precedent with the IDN
test strings (although these were technically root listed).

I am glad to accomodate (as I am able to), but we would need a memo from
OCTO, SSAC chair or some high level person at IETF or ICANN so that it
stands to public record so that it appears we are operating in a fair and
consistent manner.

  That way, I don't face massive headwinds on allowing through something
that isn't root listed.

PLUS, I don't want a thundering herd of alt-root TLD requests for inclusion
citing it as precedent.

Jothan