[NCAP-Discuss] [Ext] Re: An Approach to Measuring Name Collisions Using Online Advertisement

rubensk at nic.br rubensk at nic.br
Mon Jun 20 19:15:05 UTC 2022

> On 20 Jun 2022, at 15:36, Casey Deccio <casey at deccio.net> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 10, 2022, at 7:01 PM, rubensk at nic.br <mailto:rubensk at nic.br> wrote:
>>
>>> I worry about calling previous round "successful." How is success defined? Is it related to the number of name collisions reports? Or is it related to the presence or absence of uproar in IETF or *NOG? Or is it that the Internet didn't stop? Some of these are very subjective, and some are fraught with bias, for various reasons (e.g., the text on the name collisions submission site itself). There are certainly advantages to the approach used in the previous round, but suggesting that it was successful--at least without any definitive metrics on which to base that subjective description--is counter-productive.
>>
>> There is one success metric we can attach to the 2012 process, which is the 0 occurrences of life-threatening name collisions. Besides ICANN not knowing of such, this would be much harder to not trigger fall-out if such happened.
>
> I think what you mean is that no such occurrences were reported.  I'm not saying that there were occurrences, but I am emphasizing that the feedback channel was imperfect, and "not reported" does not necessarily mean "didn't happen".
>
> Casey

Casey,

What I mentioned is that such an occurrence had a high chance of being known via other channels if it happened. Including knowing that a life has been lost to an IT malfunction without anyone knowing it was caused by DNS.

So while reporting failures could happen for other consequences of name collision, this one is way different.

Rubens