[NCAP-Discuss] FINAL REVIEW: NCAP Public Comment responses

Jeff Schmidt jschmidt at jasadvisors.com
Mon May 9 18:20:30 UTC 2022

I have concerns about our responses to the RySG comments:

(1) Regarding “changes to the DNS traffic” we have bantered about how qname minimization, doh, local roots, and a handful of other technical changes may impact collisions but I don’t recall anything more rigorous than banter. The “we believe there are changes to DNS traffic…” seems hollow, unsupported, and unactionable. Have we discussed this? Case Study 4.0 presents the issue at a high level but there are no conclusions vis-à-vis collisions.

(2) The larger RySG comment (row 21 in the Excel) deserves more than the dismissal currently in our response. The RySG comment is fundamental to what this group is tasked to accomplish: do the Case Study and/or Perspective Study indicate there is opportunity to make material improvements to existing procedures? Case Study 5.6 states that the conclusions the community came to a decade ago are “still sound.” We have generated lots of words, pretty graphs, statistics of all types, but I don’t think we’ve made any clear statements about how to materially improve existing procedures.

I think the RySG comment (and for that matter the OCTO comment) are canaries in the coalmine here that we should not merely dismiss or address defensively. These are sophisticated folks that made substantive comments. And these are the folks that need our help to address this issue.

Jeff