[NCAP-Discuss] Current Status of the NCAP Project

Jeff Schmidt jschmidt at jasadvisors.com
Tue Nov 8 23:29:24 UTC 2022

> What standards should be used to classify strings as “high risk”?

Note the current NCAP document does not answer this question, other than noting the importance of expert discretion in the “gaming” section. This is exactly the 2012 procedure. And the correct one. Like all the other evaluation panel types, experts must analyze and make recommendations. This isn’t complecting.

> Should there not be a TRT at ICANN?  Should there be a competitive RFP for bidders like JAS and Interisle to do the work again?

Like the other evaluation types (finance, geo, string, etc), ICANN should run a competitive RFP for qualified bidders to implement the TRT. Like it did in 2012. Note that the existing “DNS Stability Review” in the 2012 round could be simply expanded to include collisions. Problem solved. Not complicating.

>  I’d like to see the next round go forward as quickly and smoothly as possible

If that is indeed the case, then you should support making small refinements to a working, proven process – not inventing complex, expensive, and risky new things that will certainly end in quagmire – or worse. Your previous commentary in this group – essentially promoting a zero-risk position – do not support any new TLDs, ever.

Jeff