[NCAP-Discuss] Current Status of the NCAP Project

James Galvin galvin at elistx.com
Sun Nov 13 01:56:55 UTC 2022

One comment in line.

On 11 Nov 2022, at 14:58, Jeff Schmidt via NCAP-Discuss wrote:

> I agree with Casey’s comments below.
>
> Everyone – especially the nontechnical people on this list - should take away that there is no clear or perfect solution. It’s all grey with tradeoffs in all directions. Experts disagree. Reasonable people with wholesome intentions disagree.
>
> There are also directly competing objectives. In particular, increasing “visibility” and collecting “more data” to perform “more research” by definition creates new security, stability, privacy, and legal/regulatory/compliance issues not the least of which is managing all these new datasets (vetting researchers, data lifecycle, compliance, etc). These are long-tail obligations that are not cost or risk free.
>
> We’re operating in an extremely brittle technical realm. Negative collision impacts are driven by limited technical understanding and in general people doing things they really shouldn’t be doing. Any and all assumptions we make about how things will or won’t work are fraught with peril. Principals of conservatism must drive our thinking; this is why I highly value historical experience and resist change without clear and compelling rationale.
>
> It’s a question of balancing imperfect solutions.
>
> Which is why I keep coming back to: what problem are we trying to solve? What – specifically – went so horribly wrong in 2012 that we need to accept difficult tradeoffs moving forward? We have never adequately answered this fundamental question.

The problem we are trying to solve is assessing name collisions in the Internet of today, and tomorrow.  Nothing went wrong in 2012.  What specific difficult tradeoffs do you believe are being made?

We have adopted controlled interruption and added a few straightforward evolutionary changes so it can be effective in today’s Internet.

What specific fundamental question have we not answered?

Jim