[NCAP-Discuss] Current Status of the NCAP Project

James Galvin galvin at elistx.com
Tue Nov 15 15:50:57 UTC 2022

On 14 Nov 2022, at 15:53, Jeff Schmidt wrote:

> (1) v6 support is a red herring. Knock it off. Everyone. This is a distraction.

I’m sorry but I do not agree that it is a distraction.

ICANN org has a strategic objective to promote the deployment of IPv6.  In my opinion we would be negligent if we did not consider how to conduct collision assessment within the full remit of ICANN org; I believe this is what the Board asked us to do.

Separately, as an implementation issue, the Board and ICANN org could decide, as they did in the 2012 Round, that they will move forward in a manner inconsistent with their overall strategic objective.

The Board and ICANN org’s choice is out of scope for us.

Providing a solution that works in the presence of IPv6 is both in scope for us and required.

Jim