[NCAP-Discuss] Suggested Recommendation - TRT be implemented as a "2012-style Evaluation"

Jeff Schmidt jschmidt at jasadvisors.com
Wed Jun 7 19:55:16 UTC 2023

Team:

I have mentioned this before, but I would like to present this is a recommended Recommendation rather than just an offhand comment.

During the 2012 round, there were several evaluation types that evaluated both the string and the applying entity:
* Background Screening
* String Similarity
* Geographic Names
* Technical/Operational
* Financial
* Registry Services
* DNS Stability

These are all described in the 2012 AGB:
https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/agb

Importantly, these evaluation types had standardized approaches to applicant interactions (Clarifying Questions), appeals (Extended Evaluation), and were sequenced in a way that took into consideration contention sets, dispute resolution, fee refunds, etc.

I would ask that the NCAP Recommend that whatever collisions review process we develop (TRT) be implemented as another evaluation type as to take advantage of the existing processes and procedures as opposed to inventing an entirely new evaluation procedure.

Arguably, the collisions procedures could be incorporated as an item into the existing String Reviews as it is really no different than the other 2012 types:
* String similarity
* Reserved names
* DNS stability
* Geographic names