[NCAP-Discuss] NCAP Report Update

Heather Flanagan hlf at sphericalcowconsulting.com
Mon Nov 6 15:46:36 UTC 2023

Hello all,

I have some revised text for you to consider based on our discussions at our F2F meeting in Washington, DC.

• HF will draft text noting that CHM are the outliers of history, but something comparable could happen in the future (e.g., .internal). This is part of our overall risk analysis. (See new Finding B.d)
• HF will add a new finding on the topic of private use strings: Designation of a TLD for private use (as advised by SSAC in SAC113) can mitigate the risk over the long term, but not immediately (see new Finding H)
• HF to draft text regarding "the TRT should not have operational authority. If they identify an urgent issue, they need to contact the root zone operator. " (see change to Recommendation 7.1)

These changes can be found in the Sections 4-5 document.

I'm also told the session during the recent ICANN meeting was a success; Jennifer sent me the recording link earlier today. I'll be reviewing that and focusing on the workflow next.

Heather Flanagan
Principal, Spherical Cow Consulting
Founder, The Writer’s Comfort Zone

  Translator of Geek to Human