[NCAP-Discuss] Root Zone Change Rates

Jeff Schmidt jschmidt at jasadvisors.com
Thu Sep 14 13:27:06 UTC 2023

Jim said:

> 2. We all agree that root zone changes are serious business. Looking at
> the two changes that will need to be done it is important to note that
> only one of them, the first one, is related to the root scaling concerns.
> It is that first change that will add the applied for TLD string to the root
> zone. The second change is not an addition, it is changing existing
> information. We need to separate these points of concern.

Agree they are different. The first is adding the TLD, which is net new entries into the root. The second is a re-delegation which doesn’t change the size of the root, but represents a unit of work for IANA-Verisign, requires review, and presents opportunity for errors. The RSSAC report mentions a concern about “churn” (the latter type) in addition to net size growth (the former type). Root zone changes are not zero risk.

Timing will get interesting in the 2030(?) round. Some applications (existing Registry using pre-evaluated RSP) could go quite fast because they need little to no 2012-style evaluation. While evaluation was the long pole in 2012, these collisions and IANA/root scaling limitations may be the long pole in future rounds. Which means there will be additional scrutiny.

Thanks,
Jeff