[New gTLD RG] Proposed text regarding the decisions taken on the RG call on August 6 2012

Eduardo Diaz eduardodiazrivera at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:16:14 UTC 2012

Good!

-ed

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Dev Anand Teelucksingh
<admin at ttcsweb.org>wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> On the gTLD RG call on August 6 2012 regarding the wiki comments
> received on the .book application by Amazon EU s.a.r.l, it was decided
> not to submit a comment on the application to the ALAC for possible
> submission to ICANN's new gTLD comment forum before the close of the
> Application Comment Period and to refer the issues raised to the new
> gTLD WG.
>
> Below is the proposed text that I will send to the ALAC, new gTLD WG
> chair, InternetNZ on behalf of the gTLD RG informing them of this
> decision. Comments or suggestions for the text are welcomed. I will
> formally send this to the aforementioned persons/organisations as well
> as to the At-Large mailing list and update the RG wiki late this
> evening or early tomorrow.
>

> Kind Regards,
>
> Dev Anand Teelucksingh
> gTLD RG chair
>
> -----------------------
>
> The gTLD Review Group (gTLD RG) received a comment on community
> objection grounds by InternetNZ, an ALS in APRALO, on the application
> by Amazon EU S.A.R.L for the applied for gTLD string "book" on July 26
> 2012.
>
> InternetNZ's comment was posted to the At-Large new gTLD Applications
> Dashboard Workspace at
> https://community.icann.org/display/newgtldrg/.book+_OG
>
> Several comments from At-Large, including members of the gTLD RG were
> received and posted on the wiki page at
> https://community.icann.org/display/newgtldrg/.book+_OG
> including a condensed version of InternetNZ's comment by gTLD RG
> members Eduardo Diaz and Yrjo Lansipuro.
>
> The comments by InternetNZ and others raises concerns regarding the
> availability of 2nd level domains under generic TLDs. Whether domains
> under such proposed generic TLDs should be available or "open" to the
> wider public or "closed" to the applicants applying for the proposed
> gTLD.
>
> Because such concepts are outside the scope of the application for
> ".book" by Amazon EU s.a.r.l, the gTLD RG on its conference call on
> Monday August 6 2012 decided not to submit a comment on this
> application to the ALAC for possible submission to ICANN's new gTLD
> comment forum before the close of the Application Comment Period.
>
> However, given the concepts raised regarding the availability of 2nd
> level domains under gTLDs has policy implications that impacts
> individual Internet end users, the gTLD RG recommends that the issues
> raised be referred to the At-Large new gTLD Working Group
> (https://community.icann.org/x/8Yoi) for discussion and possible
> policy recommendations.

*NOTICE:* This email may contain information which is confidential and/or
subject to legal privilege, and is intended for the use of the named
addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use,
disclose or copy any part of this email. If you have received this email by
mistake, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately.