[NomComRIWG] NomCom Review: Call for Action

Jean-Baptiste Deroulez jean-baptiste.deroulez at icann.org
Fri Oct 9 13:59:46 UTC 2020

Dear All,
On behalf of Tom Barrett, Chair of the NomCom Review Implementation Working Group (NomComRIWG), please find below the response to the input received from the IPC, BC, ISPCP and RySG, on the NomComRIWG proposed Bylaws amendment in relation to implementation of Recommendation 10, which states that: “[r]epresentation on the NomCom should be re-balanced immediately and then be reviewed every five years.”
Thank you and best regards,

Jean-Baptiste Deroulez

------------------------------------

Dear Heather, Wolf-Ulrich, Jennifer, Dean, Barbara, Claudia, Stephanie, Bruna, Joan, Graeme, and Donna,

On behalf of the NomComRIWG, we would like to thank you all for meeting with us during the SG/C leaders' call and especially thank the IPC, BC, ISPCP and RySG for taking the time to provide additional input on their position towards our suggested Bylaws amendment to facilitate next steps involved in implementing the “rebalancing” recommendation of the NomCom Review.

The NomComRIWG notes that the responses appear to agree with the Independent Evaluator’s assessment that the NomCom’s allocation of seats has not evolved with changes to the overall ICANN community. We also appreciate the sensitivities and inherent difficulties expressed in potentially rebalancing not only the GNSO-allocated seats, but the entire NomCom, so that the NomCom truly represents the entire ICANN community.

These rebalancing discussions could take many different forms. The approach of conducting a “holistic review” or “comprehensive assessment of representation within the ICANN community" was considered by the NomComRIWG during its feasibility and implementation phases for this recommendation. However, the drawback of a comprehensive assessment is that such an effort could take several years and could well be obsolete before its completion. This is especially true of the GNSO, whose structure has already changed since its inception and is likely to continue to evolve during any such assessment.

It is precisely because of these challenges that the NomComRIWG is proposing an incremental approach towards addressing this recommendation. The proposed Bylaw revision itself will not actually result in any immediate change to the current composition of NomCom GNSO appointees. But it will facilitate future community discussions about how to best proceed with a rebalancing of the NomCom.

In the spirit of ICANN’s new continuous improvement philosophy, the suggested Bylaw change provides not just the GNSO, but also the overall ICANN community, optimal flexibility for any number of incremental approaches used in subsequent rebalancing discussions, both within and external to the GNSO.

We thank you for reaching out and sharing your thoughtful input, we look forward to continuing interactions with the GNSO SG/C throughout the course of our review.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Tom Barrett
Chair of the NomComRIWG