[Npoc-discuss] IDN working group - invitation for experts participation

Rudi Vansnick (NPOC) rudi.vansnick at npoc.org
Fri Jul 31 11:00:42 UTC 2015

The message below is sent to you for your information. If you have any questions, please contact us.

On behalf of the GNSO Council, I write to draw your attention to the following invitation for the GNSO to appoint three community experts to the new Working Group that is to be formed to review the IDN Guidelines: https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-07-20-en <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-07-20-en>.

The IDN Guidelines govern the implementation of IDNs at the second level by registry operators and are intended to minimize the risk of consumer confusion and cyber-squatting. Under the New gTLD Program, registry operators offering IDNs are contractually bound to follow the Guidelines. Since the Guidelines were last revised in 2011, the ICANN staff in charge of implementing IDNs are convening a Working Group comprising experts from across the ICANN community, viz. ALAC, ccNSO, GNSO and SSAC.

You may recall the recent outreach efforts, by ICANN to the GNSO, requesting a list of issues from the GNSO community for the Working Group to consider. An informal group was formed as a result of this request, comprising Edmon Chung (dotAsia), Dennis Tan Tanaka (Verisign) and Kal Feher (ARI Services). Although the group did not ultimately finalize a list of issues, members of that group may be interested in volunteering for this new Working Group effort.

As the GNSO Council is expected to approve the appointment of the three community experts to the new Working Group, I would be grateful if you can reach out to your community and let me know of any qualified members who may be interested in being considered for the appointments. The deadline is August 3rd.

Please inform NPOC if you are willing to join the working group based on the criteria defined in the IDN Guidelines document.

Rudi Vansnick
Chair Non-for-Profit Operational Concerns Constituency (NPOC)
www.npoc.org <http://www.npoc.org/>

rudi.vansnick at npoc.org
Tel : +32 (0)9 329 39 16
Mobile : +32 (0)475 28 16 32