[Npoc-discuss] U.S. Congressional Activities with regard to ICANN and the IANA transition.

Sam Lanfranco lanfran at yorku.ca
Wed Jun 10 14:35:08 UTC 2015

The U.S. Congress House of Representatives Communications and Technology
Subcommittee has just voted to the following Bipartisan Legislation
related to ICANN and the IANA transition.

Source:
http://energycommerce.house.gov/press-release/subcommtech-vote-bipartisan-legislation-protect-future-internet
   (Press release: June 8, 2015; Vote June 10, 2015)/
Walden, Pallone, Shimkus Comment on Bipartisan Breakthrough /

*
WASHINGTON, DC*– The House Communications and Technology Subcommittee,
chaired by Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR), today announced that it will vote
Wednesday this week on H.R. 805, the Domain Openness Through Continued
Oversight Matters Act
<http://docs.house.gov/meetings/IF/IF16/20150513/103448/BILLS-114805ih.pdf>.
The legislation authored by Rep. John Shimkus (R-IL) will protect the
future of the Internet. Last year, the administration asked the
International Corporation for Assigned Named and Numbers (ICANN) to
convene a multistakeholder group to explore ways to transition oversight
of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) to the Internet
community. Currently, the United States oversees the Domain Name System
as part of a contract with IANA.

“There are no do-overs - the world has one chance to get this right.
This bipartisan legislation will ensure that any plan to transition IANA
to the multistakeholder community contains the necessary safeguards to
ensure these critical Internet functions do not fall into the wrong
hands,” said *Walden*. “This legislation allows, and even encourages,
the administration to thoughtfully work through this transition before
relinquishing the United States’ important role. Congress has a role to
play in its oversight of the NTIA, and this legislation properly
balances respect for the multistakeholder process with our role in the
U.S. government process.”

“We have a bipartisan responsibility to conduct rigorous oversight of
NTIA and ensure the agency lives up to its commitments for the IANA
transition, added full committee *Ranking Member Frank Pallone, Jr.*
(D-NJ). “This revised legislation renews our shared commitment to the
success of the multistakeholder community and a global, open Internet.”

“My position on the IANA transition has always been to ‘trust but
verify,’” said *Shimkus*. “With these changes to the DOTCOM Act, we’ve
reached a bipartisan agreement that gives Congress a proper oversight
role without unnecessarily delaying or undermining the multistakeholder
process. This transition is an important moment for the global Internet.
We only have one chance to get it right and, by holding NTIA accountable
to their own criteria and requirements, this legislation will help
ensure we do.”

“Whether spreading the seeds of democracy or connecting with friends
through likes and favorites, the Internet is a powerful force for
freedom and human connection. With this agreement, our members have
again found the common ground necessary to advance smart policy and
ensure the appropriate safeguards for the future of the Internet,” added
full committee *Chairman Fred Upton (R-MI)*. “I applaud their efforts
and look forward to the subcommittee’s vote later this week.”

The subcommittee will consider [has passed] a bipartisan amendment to
the DOTCOM Act, that would:

  * Require the administration to submit to Congress a report certifying
    that the transition plans meet the United States’ objective of
    global Internet openness;
  * Require NTIA to certify that changes to ICANN’s bylaws that the
    multistakeholder process has required as conditions of the
    transition have been implemented;
  * Provide safeguards designed to make ICANN more accountable to the
    Internet community; and
  * Give Congress 30 legislative days to review NTIA’s report before
    NTIA is permitted to relinquish its role in IANA.

*_Markup Details_*

- See more at:
http://energycommerce.house.gov/press-release/subcommtech-vote-bipartisan-legislation-protect-future-internet#sthash.WH36O81v.dpuf