[Npoc-discuss] 2015 Annual Election NCSG

Sam Lanfranco lanfran at yorku.ca
Wed Sep 9 15:03:16 UTC 2015

	Eduardo,
	I am on the NPOC ExCom and Chair of the NPOC Policy Committee, but I am
responding to your question asking the NPOC ExCom to share comments on the
election process only in my capacity as a fellow member of NPOC. I do not
speak for either the Policy Committee of the NPOC ExCom.

	I urge all NPOC member to cast their votes. There are two candidates for
the NCSG Chair position, and while there are only three candidates for the
representative to the GNSO Council, one is free to vote for some, all, or
none.

	As for the election process itself, I was concerned about the miss step at
the start where the first 15 or so votes were revealed as to who got them,
but -fortunately- not who voted. There are other issues that need to be
raised about how voting weights are assigned (small/large orgs), how the
validation process for the voters list is handled, and in general how
membership is managed in NCSG (NCUC/NPOC). I would like to see some
improvements here but that will require some time and a dialogue around
both the membership process and membership management. In my opinion there
should be a membership profile app on the NCSG website (with mirrored
access at NCUC and NPOC) so membership information (email addresses etc.)
are managed by members and not by email to the NCSG Chair, and where an
annual validation of active membership is easily confirmed.

	Lastly, the email from Olévié Kouami with Glen de Saint Géry 's
election notice is about another election, that of the Chair of the GNSO.

	If you have more specific questions or comments, feel free to share them
here, or to contact me directly.

	Sam Lanfranco