[Npoc-discuss] Nomination for the Chair of the NPOC Membership Committee

Glenn McKnight mcknight.glenn at gmail.com
Mon May 16 21:04:06 UTC 2016

Hi  Folks

Here is an interesting article  on Non Profits

https://medium.com/@OnGood/critical-trends-that-are-shaping-the-role-and-relevance-of-ngos-43a94cd9d9a0#.pmfqcfejh

Critical Trends That are Shaping the Role and Relevance of NGOsThe Future
of Social Impact (by Megan Soffer <https://medium.com/u/d6f6dc61007d>)

At this year’s InterAction Forum, we heard from a group of panelists as
they explored the major trends shaping the future and relevance of NGOs
with a particular focus on innovative financing, social enterprises and
digital trends. The panelists focused on how these key trends have
influenced their organizations as well as their responses in order to
remain relevant and impactful — not just within the sector, but during real
times of need (e.g. natural disasters). Moderating the panel was Ryan
Johnson of Accenture Development Partnerships
<https://www.accenture.com/us-en/service-accenture-development-partnerships-overview>,
a global service company that collaborates with organizations working in
the international development sector by delivering innovative solutions
that change the way people work and live.

*So, what are the key trends that are shaping the role and relevance of
NGOs?*

   - The rise and increase of involvement in the private sector
   - Increased opportunities as well as challenges with using technology
   - Digital technology, social enterprise, and impact investing

*What do these trends mean for your nonprofit’s strategy, footprint,
funding, and capital development?*

   - We live in an increasingly autonomous world — more and more people
   have the capacity and ability to make their own decisions, manage their own
   outcomes, and be independent of other people
   - Services are providing convenience and meeting demand for instant
   reward.
   - When we resist change, we ignore opportunities to provide value.
   - Proximity, protection and currency:

Proximity — the scale and pace of humanitarian crisis make it difficult to
be everywhere for everyone. For example, theAmerican Red Cross
<https://medium.com/u/87e78e41345e> has to think about: what is possible
given a security situation. hat is ethical given the business model
(transactional)? What is sensitive given that red cross is an outside? What
is truly essential given proximity? What tools good help provide proximity
without physical presence?

- Remote sensors used to monitor environmental data for early detection

- Social media and SMS to send alerts about early detection

- Robots used to diagnose, detect and treat diseases

- Smart transportation to help with evacuations and the delivery of supplies

Protection — use experience to help organizations who are collecting data
to process it and make meaning out of it; not to exploit it or cause more
vulnerability because of it. Take data sets from multiple collectors and
make sense of it all as conveners, and leverage data sets to make
conclusions.

Currency — people don’t solely rely on a specific type of money to extract
value. We need to think about currency as more than money; it could be
data, value, natural resources, or trust. Leveraging intangible assets as
INGOs can help provide real value for communities

- INGOs need to identify, digitize and monetize their assets.

- Business aspect and social aspect should be co-equals. Corporate
structure plays a critical role in reaching this goal

   - Impact investing is where the money is, and it has a different model
   than the aid model.
   - Believing and investing in local startups that are meeting the direct
   needs of people; red cross invests because they want these startups to
   continue to be strong enough to meet these needs.
   - Incubating ideas and investing in tools can help unlock business
   opportunities (like social enterprises).
   - An “impact business” should really have ONE thing that it does to make
   the world better.
   - Remember, don’t get too lost in chasing numbers that you forget what
   your organisation’s focus actually is.
   - Whole economies are being lifted out of poverty because of business;
   social purpose can be included in the business strategy to improve the
   world.

If you enjoyed this article, and found it to be useful, please “heart” it.
Have additional thoughts to add about key trends shaping the role and
relevancy of NGOs? Please share your comments below!
Nonprofit <https://medium.com/tag/nonprofit?source=post>Social Enterprise
<https://medium.com/tag/social-enterprise?source=post>Trends
<https://medium.com/tag/trends?source=post>
------------------------------
- Follow
[image: Go to the profile of OnGood]
<https://medium.com/@OnGood?source=footer_card>
OnGood <https://medium.com/@OnGood>

A new online community - revolutionising the way NGOs & nonprofits
worldwide raise awareness, funds and support for their missions. A
@PIRegistry <http://twitter.com/PIRegistry> initiative.

A gu
<https://medium.com/@andersem/a-guy-just-transcribed-30-years-of-for-rent-ads-heres-what-it-taught-us-about-sf-housing-prices-bd61fd0e4ef9?source=read_next---recommended_user------1>

Glenn McKnight