[Npoc-discuss] MARTIN SILVA VALENT - NPOC VICE-CHAIR NOMINATION

Juan Manuel Rojas jumaropi at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 00:15:26 UTC 2016

I fully support this nomination for Vice-Chair due his experience and his knowledge of NPOC issues.  JUAN MANUEL ROJAS
Comunicador Social
Presidente - AGEIA DENSI Colombia

Twitter: @JmanuRojas

    El Sábado, 21 de mayo, 2016 18:40:48, Martin Pablo Silva Valent <mpsilvavalent at gmail.com> escribió:

 Dear NPOC Members,            I am Martín Silva Valent, current Secretariat of NPOC,and I hereby nominate myself for the Vice-Chair open position. I declarethat: I am an active member of NPOC, and that if elected, I consent toserve; and I do not have any pecuniary or conflict of interest with ICANN.I am finishing my term as Secretariat and after more than two years ofwork assisting the Chair and Vice-Chair of NPOC I feel I have concluded a learningcycle. My engagement with policy development, mentoring and outreach andin-reach work has increased and I feel I can contribute more as Vice-chair thanas a Secretariat. I also think that is fair that someone else becomeSecretariat, a privileged role I enjoyed and from which I learned almosteverything I know about ICANN.
About Me in ICANN:            I am honoured for the trust I’ve received from thecommunity to be Secretariat and I can only hope that the community feels I wasup to the expectation. Besides being the Secretariat of NPOC inside ICANN I aman Alumni of the Fellowship Program and the Leadership Training Program, and twicethe Coach Leader of the Fellowship, things that eventually led me to be anofficial Mentor for ICANN future leaders and developing both Coaching andMentorship material and strategies (something I still work on). For NPOC I havedone, and still do, extensive outreach both in my geographical zone, the LACzone, and other places when I have the opportunity. I also participate in twoworking groups, “The Standing Committee on Improvements Implementation” and the“Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) in all gTLDs”. This is justto mention some relevant events, but I also collaborate and help in a lot ofother things (i.e.: last week I gave a presentation of NPOC in the LACRALOmonthly call and I am helping the NCSG to present a Workshop Proposal for theIGF).
About Me outside ICANN:            I am 27 years old and a Lawyer living in Buenos Aires Argentina. Ipresented in my name and got approved a Workshop for the IGF in Brazil alongwith the Youth Coalition for Internet Governance regarding Youth in theMultistakeholder Process. I also do research in the NGO I represent (AGEIADENSI, a specialized NGO in research and development of Internet Law andEconomy issues) and the university where I teach Civil Law (UniversidadTorcuato Di Tella). In the past I’ve done work with Human Rights and Genocideregarding the Argentina and the Armenian cases.             I do research on various Internet Law matters, some ofthem have been published (i.e.: Impact of Free Trade Agreements on InternetPolicy, a Latin America Case Study, funded by the Internet Policy Observatoryat the Annenberg School for Communication at the University ofPennsylvania). Besides my academic and IG work, I am a licensed Lawyer inBuenos Aires and I do practice corporate law in my own family law firm withsome clients that are usually not related to Internet, all non-related to DNS in any way.            I like to work with professionalism but I also enjoy thesocial and the affective part of working together with other people, especiallywhen they are different to me. I work hard and I am kind, I trust any of mywo-workers can give testimony to that. I am not perfect, I make mistakes and Iam always in a learning process and usually find myself being the ignorant inthe room, but I love that because it means I am in the right place, challengingmyself and making my experience better and deeper.   About the future of NPOC:            The past of NPOC is still quite short, but since I’vestarted working the Membership base has been cleaned up and is moretransparent, it has also grown in active members and participants (in my firstconstituency meeting there where only 4 members and some lost/curious people,imagine!). This was thanks to an extensive work that Joan Kerr did and the enormousamount of work that we all in the ExCom did with different outreach, andin-reach, activities. Said that, NPOC is about Policy making since is part ofthe GNSO, and therefore our ultimate goal is to produce policy that takes inaccount the interest of our community, in this case, the Operational Concernsof Non-for-Profits, a forgotten subject in ICANN since the dawn of times. It still baffles me how ICANN is full of NGO people but no one acknowledgesthe challenges and opportunities that the DNS represent for the NGOs. Operatingan NGO, just like operating an enterprise, using the domain name system has arich set of problems and potential solutions that we are still yet to discover.That’s why the engagement activities are so important, because we need far moreinput, feedback and activity from the community to say that NPOC is producingaccurate Policy according to its mission. So far, we have done all that wecould to produce policy in a vast amount of working groups taking in accounthow many active members we had in the beginning (Rudi Vanna, Klaus Stoll andSam Lanfranco to name the most influential in this last years). This is all changingthanks to the work done in the last years and I am confident that as timepasses and the team grows and evolves the Policy work will be getting onlybetter and better to give the NGOs out there the proper defence of theiroperational interest inside the GNSO.            As Vice-Chair I will deepen my work and continue to developin the most inclusive and multistakeholder manner the policy issues that the domainname system presents. I have to say it clear, even if I am not the nextVice-chair, even if I continue as a Secretariat or as just a simple active member,I will work the same with all the member of NPOC and continue to put myshoulder to the matter at stake, because I believe is the right thing to do andI truly enjoy doing it.
Final words:Thank you very much for your time and don’t forget tovote on the elections and participate as much as you can in the NPOC activitiesafter that. We need you all and we need you know, just as you need NPOC to notbe left behind in the Domain Name System. I kindly ask you to vote for me ifyou think I can do the best work as Vice-Chair. If you wish to contact me don’thesitate to drop an email or a message in Skype (user: mpsilvavalent).Cheers to all,Martín.