[Npoc-discuss] Call for comments - Competition, Consumer Trust, and Consumer Choice Review Team

Juan Manuel Rojas jumaropi at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 00:00:57 UTC 2017

Dear all,A new public comment is open this week. it is about "Competition, Consumer Trust, and Consumer Choice Review Team – New Sections to Draft Report of Recommendations", https://www.icann.org/public-comments/cct-recs-2017-11-27-en .
The Review Team would like to draw our attention to recommendation 4 related toDNS abuse. This recommendation for a DNS Abuse Dispute Resolution Policy (DADARP)procedure is the first recommendation by the CCTRT to fail to gain unanimous support fromthe Review Team.

Earlier this year it was released the Statistical Analysis of DNS Abuse in gTLDs (SADAG) Report what you can read here: https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/sadag-final-09aug17-en.pdf
According with the Draft of Competition, Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice Review Team the DNS Abuse Study indicates that the introduction of new gTLDs did notincrease the total amount of abuse for all gTLDs. Nonetheless, the results demonstrate thatthe nine aforementioned safeguards alone do not guarantee a lower rate of abuse in eachnew gTLD compared to legacy gTLDs. Instead, factors such as registration restrictions,price, and registrar-specific practices seem more likely to affect abuse rates.
The results of the study indicate that the introduction of new gTLDs has corresponded with adecrease in the number of spam associated registrations in legacy gTLDs, while maliciousregistrations have increased in new gTLDs.
It is the conclusion of the report and the Review Team that existing safeguards do notrepresent sufficient protection against DNS Abuse and that creative solutions need to beevaluated.
We would like to build with all of you the comment on this regard. As NPOC we will be drafting our comment here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qweiwKbpikhQr9CQOES3CkRtTC5g6niIS2Nnd2l-xFg/edit?usp=sharing
This opportunity will be closed on January 8th and we consider this topic important to our organizations members. If you are interested on this please write us an email offlist.
Best Regards,

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS P.
Presidente - AGEIA DENSI ColombiaCommunications Committee Chair. Non-for-Profit Operational Concerns Constituency (NPOC) - ICANNCluster Orinoco TIC memberMaster IT candidate, Universidad de los Andes
Cel. +57 3017435600
Twitter: @JmanuRojas