[Npoc-discuss] Support for the current chair - last day of NPOC's election: 4th of July

Raoul Plommer raoul at npoc.org
Mon Jun 25 15:23:28 UTC 2018

Dear members of NPOC,

I would like to give all the support possible to our current chair, who's
done a sterling job over the past year. As far as I can see, with Joan's
lead, we have accomplished a lot more than I even dared to hope this time
last year. On top of cracking on with the arduous process of our charter
review, we've gained back the control of our domain name and built a new
website engaging our members, as well as giving an introductory place for
people outside our constituency.

Not only have we worked on these necessary fundamentals of a functioning
ICANN constituency, but everyone that I've talked to, who has looked at
NPOC during this past year have been very upbeat and excited that NPOC is
finally starting to do, what it should have been doing all this time. That
includes developing policy statements of the DNS from the perspective of
NPOC, that is still very much lacking to this date.

Joan has been absolutely crucial in saving our constituency from almost
certain destruction and rebuilding its reputation from the embarrassing
show it was and I think there could've been no one else doing this work
with the diplomacy, experience and persistence that she has shown in
getting NPOC back on track.

To give you some concrete idea of the success we've had in the past year,
we've increased our membership base by ~15% and have almost doubled the
amount of voters since the previous election (23 -> 43). These figures
mean, that our constituency has attracted a lot of new interest from people
curious of NPOC, both old and new. I am very excited about this upward
trajectory that we're now on and very much intend in keeping us on it, for
the foreseeable future.

...and this is what we're now facing. I implore you, PLEASE consider the
mountain of work that Joan has got through this year, the results she's got
to show for it, and compare it with the other chair-candidate that seems to
be simply yearning for another title, without doing the actual work that
goes with it. The elections are by no means over and know that you can even
change your vote by simply voting again. I am entirely convinced that
Joan's work should be recognised by giving her another year to finish her
job of saving our constituency.

Raoul Plommer
Vice Chair of NPOC