[Npoc-discuss] Secretariat Position

Oreoluwa Somolu Lesi oreoluwa at wtec.org.ng
Mon May 21 15:02:29 UTC 2018

Good day everyone,

Kindly find below my candidate statement for the position of Secretariat
in the upcoming elections.

Regards,
Ore

************************

•Name: Oreoluwa Lesi

•Affiliation: Women's Technology Empowerment Centre - W.TEC

•Position applied for: Secretariat

*•Why you are running for the position?:* The work that ICANN does is
deeply important. However there are many in the nonprofit and civil
society communities who do not fully understand what ICANN does and its
relevance to their work. This means that they do not have the
opportunity to get involved in shaping the policies, which affects them.
As someone whose work is focused on getting more girls and women aware
of the potential of technology for career, entrepreneurship and
leadership opportunities, I interact with a lot of digitally
under-represented groups and am constantly exploring strategies to
bridge this divide.

A proactive and responsive ExCom provides leadership for NPOC members to
contribute to DNS policy, both by creating awareness of ways to do this
and by mapping paths to recruit new members.

I would like to help build on the excellent work of the current ExCom so
far, by helping to coordinate the administrative responsibilities and
make sure that necessary information about NPOC, meetings, finances are
available in a timely manner and in a variety of media.

In my professional and other capacities, I have both led and worked as
part of teams and have developed the organisational, time management and
collaborative skills that will be valuable working in the Secretariat role.

In my brief time as an active member of NPOC, I have participated in
several initiatives, like the Community Onboarding and charter review.
You can learn more about me and my work here: https://bit.ly/2ke8u78 and
https://wtec.org.ng.

*•Do you have any conflict(s) of interest?:* No

*•How many hours per week you are able to dedicate to the position:* 5.5
hours

*•Are you involved in any working Groups or PDP efforts, if so please
state:*

I was a mentee on the Community Onboarding programme and helped to
refine the processes to integrate new members to NPOC. Being a newer
member, contributing to this process was very important to me.

I also contributed to the revision of the NPOC charter. At the 2018
Intersessional, I worked with the rest of the working group to review
the new version of the charter for flow and ease of use.

More recently, as part of the NCSG Policy course Advisory Group, I
contributed scenarios for the development of a NCSG Policy course.

--

Oreoluwa Lesi - Women's Technology Empowerment Centre (W.TEC)
Executive Director

+234.803.621.1307, +234.813.339.9999 | www.wtec.org.ng | @wteconline