[Npoc-discuss] Update on Digital Rights Inclusion Forum 2019 (DRIF19)

Oreoluwa Somolu Lesi oreoluwa at wtec.org.ng
Fri Apr 26 13:29:48 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

Yesterday, Caleb Ogundele and I organised and participated in a session
at the recently-concluded Digital Rights Inclusion Forum 2019 here in
Lagos, Nigeria called "*I**nternet Governance: Multi-stakeholderism and
Participation in the Assigned Names and Numbers Space.*"

This session featured:

  *

    _Anriette Esterhuysen
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anriette_Esterhuysen> _(NCUC and NomCom)

  *

    _Ines Hfaiedh <https://icannwiki.org/Ines_Hfaiedh> __(NCUC AND
    AFRALO) _

  *

    _Caleb Ogundele
    <https://icannwiki.org/Caleb_Olumuyiwa_Ogundele>_(NPOC, NCUC and
    AFRALO)

  *

    _Sunday Folayan <https://icannwiki.org/Sunday_Folayan>_(ccNSO)

  *

    _Lawrence __Olawale-Robert
    <https://www.linkedin.com/in/lawrenceor/>__s_(BC and NomCom)

  *

    _Oreoluwa Lesi <https://icannwiki.org/Oreoluwa_Somolu_Lesi>_(NPOC
    and AFRALO) – Moderator

_(__Seun Ojedeji <https://icannwiki.org/Seun_Ojedeji>_of ALAC, AFRALO
and ASO was meant to have joined us, but was unavoidably absent due to
work obligations.)

Our session explained who ICANN is, their role in ensuring the
interoperability and coordinating key technical and policy aspects of
the underlying core infrastructure and the domain name system. Our
discussion included explanations of the multistakeholder model, the
ICANN structure, PDPs, GDPR and EPDPs and ways to contribute to and join
ICANN,.

All in all, I hope and believewe had an engaging and interesting
discussion, sharing what we do at ICANN. You can watch the *video
recording *here: https://youtu.be/v_Pzfd6v4Sk

I will be putting together a short report about the session over the
next week and will be sure to share it with you all.

Best regards,

Ore

-- Oreoluwa Lesi

NPOC - Secretariat

Executive Director - Women's Technology Empowerment Centre (W.TEC)

www.wtec.org.ng  | @wteconline