[Npoc-discuss] ICANN69 to be Held as Virtual Public Meeting

Joan Kerr joankerr at fbsc.org
Fri Jun 12 14:13:46 UTC 2020

Thanks Caleb.

I think it is a good idea not to travel this year due to the
circumstances.  Our community will find it harder to participate in virtual
meetings for technical costs and accessibility reasons.
Thanks,

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 7:30 AM Caleb Olumuyiwa Ogundele <
muyiwacaleb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear NPOC Members,
> Kindly take note of the announcement on ICANN69 made by ICANN.Org
> yesterday.
>
> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2020-06-11-en
>
> LOS ANGELES – 11 June 2020 – The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names
> and Numbers (ICANN) today announced that the ICANN Board of Directors has
> made the decision
> <https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2020-06-11-en> that
> the ICANN69 Annual General Meeting (AGM), which was to be held in
> Hamburg, Germany, will not proceed as an in-person meeting. Instead, the
> Board has directed the ICANN org to coordinate with the ICANN community
> on the best way forward for ICANN69 to meet the expected outcomes of an
> ICANN AGM and support the community's ongoing policy advice and
> development work, despite being unable to meet in person.
>
> The meeting, scheduled for 17-22 October, will be the third time ICANN will
> hold a Virtual Public Meeting as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
> ICANN67, originally scheduled for Cancún, Mexico, was held as a virtual
> meeting, as will the upcoming ICANN68, originally scheduled for Kuala
> Lumpur, Malaysia.
>
> The health and safety of the ICANN community is always a top priority,
> and as such, convening ICANN69 as an in-person meeting is not expected to
> be feasible by its scheduled date. While progress has been made to mitigate
> the impact of COVID-19, there are still several barriers remaining that
> prevent holding large international meetings, such as ICANN's Public
> Meetings. These include ongoing restrictions on international travel,
> diminished flight availability, challenges in obtaining visas, physical
> distancing requirements, the risks posed to the local host community, and
> the possibility of a resurgence resulting in further lockdowns.
>
> "Above all, the health and safety of the global ICANN community, Board,
> and staff is the most important consideration for any Public Meeting," said
> Maarten Botterman, ICANN Board Chair. "As of right now, there are still
> too many uncertainties involved with hosting a face-to-face meeting. The
> Board believes that this is the right decision, and it gives us ample time
> to plan a successful Annual General Meeting. There's a great deal of work
> to be done, so let's continue to focus on getting it done, together."
>
> ICANN thanks the Hamburg host committee and our regional partners in
> Europe, who have provided their support and input during the planning
> process for ICANN69. The Board fully appreciates the importance of
> face-to-face interactions, and looks forward to a return to in-person
> ICANN Public Meetings. ICANN is currently scheduled to convene ICANN70 in
> Cancun, Mexico, and ICANN71 in The Hague, The Netherlands.
>
> ICANN org, in consultation with the ICANN community, will build on the
> lessons learned during ICANN67 and ICANN68 to improve upon the meeting
> [...]

Joan Kerr, Entrepreneur, Artist, Humanitarian

_____________________________________

Chair, Climate Smart Victory Garden Team

Chair, ICANN, Not for Profit Operations Constituency

Chair, IEEE Sustainable Agriculture Working Group

Chair, Science for Peace, Climate Smart Victory Gardens

Advisor, IEEE Humanitarian Initiatives Committee

Advisor, Climate Smart Agriculture Youth Network, (CSAYN) Canada

UN WSIS Award Recipient, for Content & Creativity

Durham Region Recipient, Community Partnership Award

Founder, Foundation for Building Sustainable Communities

www.joankerr.ca, www.fbsc.org

Skype: joankerr_fbsc

1-416-907-0783