[Npoc-discuss] Ioana Stupariu - Candidate Statement

Joan Kerr joankerr at fbsc.org
Thu May 28 14:41:31 UTC 2020

Ioana,

You are definitely a person of action, as shown in your work as
the Membership Chair and CROP Coordinator.  Having an understanding of the
ICANN ecosystem, NPOC and organizations' operational concerns are a big
advantage in addressing the priorities for NPOC.

Over the past couple years, I have had the pleasure of working with you on
the Charter, social media and other development functions.  I think
you will make an excellent Vice Chair, and do what ti takes to get he
job(s) done.

Good luck

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 9:52 AM Ioana Stupariu <Stupariu_Ioana at phd.ceu.edu>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Thank you first of all for the nomination and the trust shown - I feel
> humbled and honored, at the same time, by your trust, and will do my best
> to fulfil your expectations, if I will be elected.
>
> You can find below my statement, as per NPOC's elections rules.
>
> *Name*: Ioana Stupariu
> *Region of residence:* Europe (currently in Romania/often in Hungary)
> *Gender:* Female
> *Affiliation:* President of two NGOs (Lawyr.it Association, which is an
> NPOC member, and AGORA Debate), Associate Professor at Babes-Bolyai
> University Law School (Romania), GigaNet Secretary. Also a tech regulation
> strategist, working with SMEs, owning and managing ReadyTech Consulting
> (independent consultancy)
> *Position applied for:* NPOC Vice-Chair
> *Statement of interest:* available here
> <https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=71605420>, also LinkedIn
> profile <https://www.linkedin.com/in/ioanastupariu/>.
>

> *Why you are running for the position?*
>
> My statement will have both a professional, as well a personal part - both
> of which I see as relevant, as the majority of you do not know me.
>
> *My experience in IG*
>
> I have been involved in Internet Governance ecosystems since 2017, when I
> first got introduced to the ICANN environment in an outreach campaign in
> Central Europe. I had already been aware of DNS policies and interference
> with human rights and society due to my master and doctoral research (on
> data regulation and privacy), so this allowed me to quickly become attached
> to what ICANN is doing. I have then become involved in South Eastern Europe
> Dialogue on IG (as an Ambassador) and organized an IGF (Hungary), the first
> of its kind. For those in academia, I am also a GigaNet Secretary since
> January 2019 (The Global Internet Governance Academic Network).
>
> Since joining ICANN, I have been 3 times a fellow, twice a coach, and an
> NPOC mentee, having participated in almost all meetings since joining. I
> contributed primarily to comments (fellowship, privacy, budget), penned a
> couple, joined CCWG. I am currently in the NextGen evaluation committee and
> a CROP coordinator for NPOC. I am also an individual member of Euralo and
> NCUC, but I decided my main contribution should be towards making NPOC a
> stronger piece in the ICANN ecosystem, as leader of one of the NGOs I
> founded. Since joining NPOC as a mentee in 2018, I have followed
> discussions closely and tried to contribute as much as I could. For
> instance, throughout last year, I supported Caleb on implementing NPOC
> communications strategy. At the moment, I am happy to fill in as a
> Membership chair since earlier this year and be a CROP coordinator since
> last autumn, both roles allowing me to get a closer look at the intricacies
> of NPOC.
>
> *Why I am a good fit*

> [...]

Joan Kerr, Entrepreneur, Artist, Humanitarian

_____________________________________

Chair, Climate Smart Victory Garden Team

Chair, ICANN, Not for Profit Operations Constituency

Chair, IEEE Sustainable Agriculture Working Group

Chair, Science for Peace, Climate Smart Victory Gardens

Advisor, IEEE Humanitarian Initiatives Committee

Advisor, Climate Smart Agriculture Youth Network, (CSAYN) Canada

UN WSIS Award Recipient, for Content & Creativity

Durham Region Recipient, Community Partnership Award

Founder, Foundation for Building Sustainable Communities

www.joankerr.ca, www.fbsc.org

Skype: joankerr_fbsc

1-416-907-0783