[Npoc-discuss] Candidate Statement - Emmanuel Vitus for NPOC Secretariat

vitus at afrotribune.com vitus at afrotribune.com
Thu May 28 18:38:06 UTC 2020

Dear All,

My sincere appreciation to Poncelet,  Arsene Raymond Adisa Iona and others for the nomination. I'm deeply humbled and feel this is a strong call to service. I therefore ask for your kind support during this election  by voting me for the secretariat.

Read my statement below:

Name: Emmanuel Vitus
Biography & CV: LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/emmavitus/>

Affiliation: Afrotribune

Position applied for: Secretariat

Why I applied for this position:

As you are all aware, the secretariat is an administrative position, and as a communication expert with years of experience I see myself as having new and fresh ideas that can be very useful for the EC and the community. I would like to improve on what we ought to be doing and what we have done in NPOC especially at the EC level.

My years in communication and policy development will be a great asset to work for you and advise the leadership.

My focus, when elected, is to work closely with the EC, especially the membership committee to increase capacity building webinars for members, policy engagement, strengthen them and notify them of possible funding or support opportunity to also participate on site at such meetings through the use of CROP or remotely. Also, I want the secretariat to be a great liaison between the EC and the community members.

This I believe will help them participate more actively without feeling left out when it comes to decision-makings and documenting policy thoughts without the necessary incentives and motivation.

It is my belief that there is a better option in diversity and youthfulness which stands as a major rally point for my supercharged energy to do and perform better to fill the big shoes left by Oreoluwa.

With your voices behind me, I can use the knowledge I have gained in working with CSOs to best represent and implement your ideas. So, if you like what I hope to achieve, I would be most appreciative of your support

Together, we must get engaged, to ensure that this community remain open, pluralistic and democratic.

Do you have any conflict(s) of interest?: No

How many hours per week you are able to dedicate to the position?

5 - 10 hours or more as the demand for responsibility brings.

Are you involved in any working Groups or PDP efforts, if so please state?

 Over the last year, I have been an active contributor to the policies been discussed at the level of NCSG and NCUC ICANN public meetings and remotely in-between. I have participated actively at my regional RALO in the At-large structure and leading the creation of ICANNWIKI French to increase participation of the francophone community.

 Internet Governance involvement

- Chairperson of Togo Internet Governance Forum (2016-2019)

- Faculty Member, West Africa School of Internet Governance (2019)

- Faculty Member, Benin School of Internet Governance (2019)

- UNESCO Freedom of Expression Experts committee (2016-2018)

- Africa School of Internet Governance selection committee (2019)

- Focal Point and Resource Person for Africa Union PRIDA project (2019-2020)

Internet Governance related Publication

- Co-authored IGF Academy Transfer Guide. A handbook to foster Internet Governance Initiatives in the Global South, 2016

- Co-authored Digital Rights in Africa Report 2019 & 2020

- Co-authored Global Information Society Watch, Country report, Togo, 2017

- Co-authored Global Information Society Watch, Country report, Ghana, 2018

- Co-authored A4AI's Affordability Report (Country reports: Ghana & Ivory Coast, 2017)

- ICANN's Africa DNS Market Study (Country reports: of Ghana, Mali, 2017)

- Fake news: the strategic fight in Africa vs government censorship (Article, 2018)

- Data protection: Africa vs EU GDPR, (Policy Brief, 2018).

- Migrating to IPv6: Why Africa must accelerate the migration process (Articles, 2017)

- Reporter's Guide to Election Coverage in Togo (Thomson Reuters Foundation, 2019)

Policy reviews and recommendations

-  Review and Recommendations for Senegalese Communications bill (Paradigm Initiative, 2019)

- Review and Recommendations for Togo Electronic communication and Cybersecurity bills (Paradigm Initiative, 2019)

- Review and Recommendations for Benin Communications bill (Paradigm Initiative, 2019)