[Npoc-discuss] Welcoming our New NPOC Members

Caleb Olumuyiwa Ogundele muyiwacaleb at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 14:16:09 UTC 2020

Dear NPOC Members,

On behalf of the NPOC Executive Committee, Please join me in welcoming our
new members below.

   - Internet Society, Nigeria Chapter, Nigeria, Bukola Oronti
   - Ghana School on Internet Governance, Ghana, Sarata Oname
   - Africa Open Data and Internet Research Foundation, Ghana, Wisdom Donkor

As you are aware, Non-for-Profit Operational Concerns Constituency (NPOC),
is the home for not-for-profits which have a domain name and want to
participate in the making of policy that influences the current internet
infrastructure.

As the Membership Committee Chair  , I am happy to provide any necessary
help for our new and old members to become fully engaged within our
Constituency and  our Stakeholder Group to facilitate the onboarding
process into our community - and you will find many members willing to do
the same!

To better understand how to do that, you need to first understand ICANN´s
complex structure. As you already know from the application process, NPOC
is part of the Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG), which means that we
represent the non-commercial interests of the internet community.
Specifically, those of non-for-profits.

We believe that non-for-profits have to play a central role in creating,
discussing, and reviewing top-level domain names policy and so have
outlined some key steps you can take to familiarize yourself with the
process and get involved:

1. Understand what a domain name is: Learn more about the domain name
system (DNS) and the problems, challenges, and opportunities they bring to
the operation of organisations like yours. (Suggestion: read the Beginners
Guides
<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/beginners-guides-2012-03-06-en>)

2. Read the NPOC toolkit: Learn more about NPOC’s work within ICANN, the
NPOC structure, current working groups, the role of the NPOC Executive
Committee (ExCom), including a glossary of acronyms, which we know can be
very tricky! (Suggestion: read NPOC Beginners Guide
<https://www.npoc.org/about/what-is-npoc/beginners-guide-to-npoc/>)

3. Learn about the policy-making process: Understand how to help create and
review policy, via the online working groups, public comments and open
discussions; or at the ICANN Meetings that take place three times every
year (Suggestion: Watch Policy Development Process Video
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPS_0Ut2FRk&list=PLQziMT9GXafXm-5MHQ5YIcRNy5rdUCRhS&index=1>
]

4. Get to know the other non-for-profits members of NPOC: You never know
what opportunities for collaboration and conversation exist. (See our
Members <https://www.npoc.org/about/members/>)

5. Understand the ICANN complex structure: start by checking the organizational
structure <https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/chart-2012-02-11-en> for