[Npoc-discuss] Welcoming our New NPOC Members

Joan Kerr joankerr at fbsc.org
Thu Nov 12 15:46:17 UTC 2020

Welcome new members.
Regards,
Joan Kerr

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 7:16 AM Caleb Olumuyiwa Ogundele <
muyiwacaleb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear NPOC Members,
>
> On behalf of the NPOC Executive Committee, Please join me in welcoming our
> new members below.
>

>    - Internet Society, Nigeria Chapter, Nigeria, Bukola Oronti
>    - Ghana School on Internet Governance, Ghana, Sarata Oname
>    - Africa Open Data and Internet Research Foundation, Ghana, Wisdom
>    Donkor
>
> As you are aware, Non-for-Profit Operational Concerns Constituency (NPOC),
> is the home for not-for-profits which have a domain name and want to
> participate in the making of policy that influences the current internet
> infrastructure.
>

> As the Membership Committee Chair  , I am happy to provide any necessary
> help for our new and old members to become fully engaged within our
> Constituency and  our Stakeholder Group to facilitate the onboarding
> process into our community - and you will find many members willing to do
> the same!
>

> To better understand how to do that, you need to first understand ICANN´s
> complex structure. As you already know from the application process, NPOC
> is part of the Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG), which means that we
> represent the non-commercial interests of the internet community.
> Specifically, those of non-for-profits.
>

> We believe that non-for-profits have to play a central role in creating,
> discussing, and reviewing top-level domain names policy and so have
> outlined some key steps you can take to familiarize yourself with the
> process and get involved:
>

> 1. Understand what a domain name is: Learn more about the domain name
> system (DNS) and the problems, challenges, and opportunities they bring to
> the operation of organisations like yours. (Suggestion: read the Beginners
> Guides
> <https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/beginners-guides-2012-03-06-en>)
>

> 2. Read the NPOC toolkit: Learn more about NPOC’s work within ICANN, the
> NPOC structure, current working groups, the role of the NPOC Executive
> Committee (ExCom), including a glossary of acronyms, which we know can be
> very tricky! (Suggestion: read NPOC Beginners Guide
> <https://www.npoc.org/about/what-is-npoc/beginners-guide-to-npoc/>)
>

> 3. Learn about the policy-making process: Understand how to help create
> and review policy, via the online working groups, public comments and open
> discussions; or at the ICANN Meetings that take place three times every
> year (Suggestion: Watch Policy Development Process Video
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPS_0Ut2FRk&list=PLQziMT9GXafXm-5MHQ5YIcRNy5rdUCRhS&index=1>
> ]
>

> 4. Get to know the other non-for-profits members of NPOC: You never know
> what opportunities for collaboration and conversation exist. (See our
> Members <https://www.npoc.org/about/members/>)
>

> 5. Understand the ICANN complex structure: start by checking the organizational
> [...]

Joan Kerr, Entrepreneur, Mixed Media Artist, Community Leader

_____________________________________

Chair, Climate Smart Victory Garden Team

Chair, ICANN, Not for Profit Operations Constituency

Chair, IEEE Sustainable Agriculture Working Group

Chair, Science for Peace, Climate Smart Victory Gardens

Member, Public Registry Advisory Council

Advisor, Climate Smart Agriculture Youth Network, (CSAYN) Canada

UN WSIS Award Recipient, for Content & Creativity

Durham Region Recipient, Community Partnership Award

Founder, Foundation for Building Sustainable Communities

www.joankerr.ca, www.fbsc.org

Skype: joankerr_fbsc

1-416-907-0783