

ICANN

Moderator: Maryam Bokoshi
May 10, 2017
10:00 am CT

Maryam Bokoshi: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is the NPOC open meeting on the 10th of May 2017 at 1600 UTC.

On the call today, we have Agustina Callegari, Joan Kerr, Martin Silva, Poncelet Ilelegi, Raoul Plommer, Sam Lanfranco, and from Staff, you have myself Maryam Bokoshi.

I'd like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much.

Over to you, Joan and Raoul.

Joan Kerr: Great, thank you Maryam and welcome everyone. (Unintelligible) has sent out the agenda, and everyone is okay with the agenda.

Are there any additions or deletions that anyone has? We're all good? Yes?
Hearing nothing.

Raoul Plommer: We're all good.

Joan Kerr: So great, thank you. So thank you Agustina for being on the call. So we have Sam as well.

Any words from Klaus? I didn't get any response. I don't know if anyone knew if he is doing okay. We should make it a point of maybe sending an inquiry to him -- just in good faith -- because he has just had his operation and he is recovering. I think that's action number one that we send a note to Klaus just to touch base and see how he is doing. So that's action number one.

So we have a number of things that we have to get done. The first is sort of priority is NCSG Review -- which is due on the 11th. And I think we've done a really good job of getting the work done.

And actually, I have to say -- before we go to it -- when I first looked at it, I thought, "Oh my goodness, this is a lot of work." But it is broken down and I think that we are really on track with it.

So Raoul, would you like to walk us through the review online then, or I can do it. Which way would you prefer?

Raoul Plommer: Yes, go ahead, go at it Joan. You know the drill.

Joan Kerr: But it's good if you wanted to as well.

So the NCSG Review has -- if we can go to that...

Man: Slide, (Jessica).

Joan Kerr: Sorry? Hello? Did someone say something? No.

Maryam, is it possible to go to the NCSG Review so we can look at it because we do have to get that one done and identify the things that we need to do or cannot do. So is it possible to go to that, Maryam?

Maryam Bokoshi: Sure, yes, it will be possible by sharing my screen. I'll do that in a moment.
Hold on one second.

Joan Kerr: Okay, great. So while that is coming up, anyone have anything that they've -- since they've looked at it -- is there anything that is sort of looking at them and saying, "Oh my goodness. We really should look at this," or just before (unintelligible), are there any issues that anyone has? I think everyone has done a great job, by the way, in adding to this.

Raoul, please go ahead.

((Crosstalk))

Gandahar Panday: Hello? (Unintelligible). This is Gangadhar Panday from Hyderabad.

Joan Kerr: Okay welcome, thank you for joining us. Raoul is on the line. Go ahead
Raoul.

Raoul Plommer: Yes. So I guess we really need to have the purpose -- for our bylaws -- clear so we can add it in the NTSG Review as well.

So what is the sort of last deadline that we can do it by?

Joan Kerr: Yes, as much as I understand it, it is the 15th.

Raoul Plommer: Okay, great.

Joan Kerr: Now in saying that, I think that because we're NPOC - and this is not an excuse; it's just an explanation. We are going through our charter review and looking at the bylaws, and I think that we can ask for some understanding in that we're doing that if we don't clearly define everything. That's my opinion.

Raoul Plommer: Yes.

Joan Kerr: And I was going to suggest to the NPOC group that we take the review once we've entered it, and then work it into a strategic plan for the next year to make sure that we're addressing all of the things that we need to address. That's sort of one action that I saw when I was going through the review.

I don't know how everyone feels about that.

Raoul Plommer: No, it sounds good. Like it would be good if all of us got their heads around the purpose of NPOC -- what exactly is going to be in.

I think we should really try to speak to NCUC more about making the distinction between individuals and organizations, and try to get the organizations to NPOC.

Joan Kerr: Mm-hm and really define it. I think that's the problem we've always had is not being able to define (unintelligible).

Man: Thank you (unintelligible)...(unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: Okay, so the purpose (unintelligible), I identified it as well.

Sorry, who was that?

((Crosstalk))

Joan Kerr: Raoul, your hand is still raised.

Olévie Kouami: (Unintelligible), I second (unintelligible) too. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: Sorry, who was? Sorry, who was speaking?

Olévie Kouami: I think I would try to join and have not been connecting on (unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: So Olévie. Oh, hi Olévie. Thank you, thank you for joining.

So let's go through each of - if you guys don't mind because we do have to get this review done.

In red was - I put the things in red that I think we absolutely have to address so that we know right away -- when we look at it -- that's what we need to address.

So the purpose, do we want to discuss this now or do we want to be dialoguing on what the purpose is because we need to put it on the Web site and look at the bylaws and what exactly is our purpose. Or do we want to leave that to discuss over the next year to really define it.

Thoughts?

Raoul Plommer: Yes, it would be best to really come up with it rather quick. And I don't think we should have it blank at any point when we're submitting this. It would be

really important to have our purpose clear and for others to know that we have it clear.

Joan Kerr: I agree. It's important because I was actually asked - I've been asked this so many times, you know, what is our purpose, what do we do. So let's have a discussion on what is our purpose because it is the number one question -- also kind of funny.

Anybody want to start?

Okay, I'm going to arbitrarily ask Martin -- since he's our counselor -- maybe to give us some thoughts on what he's hearing from the GNSO, and maybe we can start there if you don't mind, Martin. Martin?

So he wrote in the chat, "We can encourage them to address their operational concerns with NPOC." That's what we do, so that's the action. What exactly is the purpose? Like is it to inform, is it to educate, is it to get them into?

You see, I think when I read the charter in the review, it's not so much engagement. We have to have engagement to get people involved, but it's really to get them involved in the policy development process. That's more than what - but specifically for their operational concerns. I think that's what our purpose is.

So how we do it is by, you know, engagement, education, et cetera. But that's what I think that we need to do; identify what policies are operational concerns and bylaws, or communicate with the members for that purpose. So that's my take on it.

Raoul? Everybody's mute.

Raoul Plommer: (Unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: Is this Poncelet? Are we agreeing with that purpose or not? Poncelet, barely can hear you.

Poncelet Ilelegi: (Unintelligible), I concur.

Joan Kerr: Okay.

Poncelet Ilelegi: I concur with the purpose (unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: So we're saying our purpose is to...

((Crosstalk))

Joan Kerr: Okay, so Maryam, could you type in what we said our purpose was on the right so that everybody can see it and agree because we need to put that in our review.

Maryam Bokoshi: I'll write it in.

Joan Kerr: So I think that's our purpose is...

Man: (Unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: Sorry? Anybody that wants to speak, please raise your hand so that I can know who wants to speak, otherwise, it is difficult. (Unintelligible).

So that's what I'm putting out there is what we have to do, and we have to focus on it. So any thoughts?

Okay, good. Raoul, we can start there and maybe add to it and agree to it. But remember today is the 10th and so Monday is the 15th, so we can put that - we can add more; I absolutely agree. But honestly, we have not done a good job of informing our members about the policy development process.

So usually, a purpose what is, you know, what is it that we're going to do and then you build your actions around it, right. So yes, I like that wording; wonderful.

Okay, so I'm (unintelligible) in those because (unintelligible) good word. So we can add those to the document. Okay, so (unintelligible) on the document, add it to the document right now. Actually, maybe we should go into the document.

Maryam, did we get the Chat's - oh, you are writing it. There we go. Okay, that's good.

Okay, so for the purposes that - oh, good, good. Any objections to number 2? So we can maybe join those together and focus a very quick - the quicker that you can answer that question -- when we're being asked -- is the better. So I like those so we can work on those.

I'll ask Maryam to copy those and put it into the document and then we can work on the words missing. So good, very good. And then the next action is to focus on the Web site.

Are we good for number 1A then? Great, good. Number 2B, 1C? What is the common interest of your membership?

Now I wrote down that organizations have a registered domain name. And I just thought that came a little bit lame, but I think - do we need to define that a little bit more? That's 1C.

And the question is what is the common interest of background of your membership and the focus of your group. This is why the focus is important.

So number two, Maryam, if you could differentiate between 1A, and now we're on 1C. So this is (unintelligible).

Oh, okay. Is everyone okay with 1C then so we can take it off the red? So 1C. Yes, yes, good? No objections? Okay, 1C is good. (Unintelligible).

Okay, now going down, could you put the screen down, Maryam, please?
Thank you.

Now this is - so now number two seems to be okay. I think everyone is okay with that. Do you participate actively in relevant NCSG and GNSO PDP working groups and work teams?

So they are asking - I put in there a list of those working groups. I didn't have access to them and didn't know where to find them. Do we have one? Now I started in 2015 October, so I wasn't on anything for the first year, and then this year is very - this is the one that I was on.

But anyone else on a group? Okay, Maryam, is there a record that we can find of who in our group that's on working groups, or any of you guys have any answers? They're talking 2015 - sorry, 2015-2017, so anything will do.

Yes, but Poncelet, I see your notes. It's on our SOI but we need it in the document, so if everyone could just add to it that would be great -- so we can have a list. Yes.

So I'm asking everyone if they could just add what groups they're in -- they're PDPs and working groups -- instead of somebody having to go through each one of the SOIs -- if that's okay. It will make it much easier. Just the ones that you're involved with even if it's just the last year, if you could do that -- if that's possible -- so we can get that one done as well. And they're only asking for 2015 onwards.

Can we have that as an action, then, that everyone will answer that one in the next couple of days? That's number three. Yes? And if you need the link, we'll send the link as well.

Yes Maryam, thank you Maryam. Okay, can you bring down the - okay, so we're agreed that Maryam will go through the SOIs and, Maryam, you have that on the list. So she has that as a (unintelligible) so we're okay on that. Okay, great.

Next, can you move the - scroll down a bit?

So the next one that we have is 4B. If everyone is okay with the rest of the answers, there are no objections to 4B. Provide a complete list as possible of (unintelligible).

So I - who wants to do that one? A complete list; I have no idea where I would find that.

So Maryam, can we ask of you that one too? You know what? I can work on that one maybe. We'll put on our task list to try to find them. All right, so that's 4B; 4B Joan, Maryam.

Okay, we'll list as much as we can so that we can find and get that one done as well.

Can you go down please, Maryam? All right, and down more. I think 5 is good, and then they have - go down a bit more, Maryam, please. Great.

So the next - it looks like 5 is good. And then they had a number of questions. I wrote in what I thought. Has anyone else - so that's after the box. Okay, so for all the questions, do you have any plans or prospects in progress to access the situation?

So one thing I did think of was onboarding, so you could add that one as an outreach and engagement -- if that's okay with you, Agustina. You can add that as something that we're supposed to be doing.

And if anybody wants to add anything else, please do so. But I think we're good for getting as much as possible done with this review.

I'll work with Maryam for number 4, and Maryam will do number 3. We'll add number 2 and try to get this document done by Friday for everybody to review. And if everybody can review it, we can submit it on Monday. So I think that we're good for that one.

Any objections/comments? Hearing none -- no hands raised -- great.

Maryam, can we please go back to the agenda?

At any time, Raoul, if you want to take over, I'm good.

Raoul Plommer: Go ahead Joan, please.

Joan Kerr: Okay, so number 2, (unintelligible) the day in Johannesburg. Raoul, would you mind working on that one, and have you done anything to plan that day? And which day is it? But you can do that, you have some time; we can do that. We don't have to do that right now. But (unintelligible).

You and I can work on that one to send to the committee?

Raoul Plommer: Yes, sounds good.

Joan Kerr: Okay, okay. Anyone have any ideas around what we should be doing on (unintelligible) today? I'd like to propose that we look at the onboarding project so that we can adopt it as part of our engagement for the coming year.

So Agustina, maybe if you could prepare a presentation? Are you going to be, Agustina, are you - (unintelligible)...(unintelligible)? Agustina, are you going to be in Johannesburg?

Agustina Callegari: Yes, I'm going to be there (unintelligible) to make a presentation there. And also, since I'm speaking now, I will be -- Martin and I -- will be sending to all the ExCom Members the materials we have been working on -- next week. So we can review them and we can go forward in Johannesburg.

Joan Kerr: Wonderful. So we'll put that down as an item for Constituency Day then?

Woman: Yes, perfect.

Joan Kerr: Great thank you. Poncelet, go ahead.

Poncelet Ileleji: Thank you. Poncelet speaking for the record. (Unintelligible) because I know (unintelligible) planning also something in (unintelligible)...

Joan Kerr: Can you speak up a little bit please?

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes. Poncelet speaking for the record. NCUC are planning something on Saturday. I know we are going to be working the (unintelligible) of which I'm a member and I'm sure it would be good for everyone if there is (unintelligible) an opportunity to talk to Renata the other day. I know Renata is the one organizing because she was talking to me about it so they too should be involved in our Constituency Day either by speaking or doing something for (unintelligible). I think we should try (unintelligible) with them because on day two (unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: Right. No, I think it's a great idea. So what would you want them to do on Constituency Day, do a presentation on what they're doing? What did you have in mind?

Poncelet Ileleji: Do a presentation of what we are doing, how we work together within the NCSG and especially with being part of the PDP process. Because we have a lot of NCUC people that are very active in a lot of PDPs. It would also be very good for them to be there.

Joan Kerr: Okay great. So who would we ask to do that presentation?

Poncelet Ileleji: We know Renata. (Unintelligible)

Joan Kerr: Might I ask you - yes. Might ask you to take them one up and let us know? I think it's a great idea.

Poncelet Ileleji: Okay, I will send an e-mail to Renata and I will copy you.

Joan Kerr: Okay great. Is everyone okay with that on Constituency Day? I think it's a great idea. I think the new NPOC is a whole idea that we want to be part of the community, you know, we've got to build bridges and work together. So that's a great idea. Thank you.

Okay Raoul. Okay. Great. All right so Maryam I will plan on Constituency Day and come up with and come up with an agenda and send it to everyone for comment. Okay? (Unintelligible) I'm volunteering you.

Gangadhar Panday: Yes it's okay. Ganga from Hyderabad. I'm sorry, what did you say?

Gangadhar Panday: I agree to a joint set.

Joan Kerr: Okay great. Great thank you, Ganga. So you have a question (unintelligible)? Go ahead.

Gangadhar Panday: Yes. I just wanted to ask this.

Joan Kerr: Just a second, Ganga. Are you on the phone or are you on the...?

Man: On the phone.

Joan Kerr: Oh okay. So just let me know when you want to speak because people raise their hands. Just say, "Joan, I'd like to speak." Okay? Because I can't see your hand. But there is someone that is speaking right now so I'll go to you next, if that's okay.

Raoul Plommer: I'm (ready).

Joan Kerr: Okay great. Please go ahead.

Raoul Plommer: Yes I don't know if you remember but last Constituency Day we were talking about analyzing the possibility to move Constituency Day to another day or another time not to be at the same time of NCUC Constituency Day because there are many people who want to attend both and it's kind of impossible. So I don't know if that's possible but maybe we have to check that.

Joan Kerr: Yes, good idea. Yes. So I will check with them and let everyone know, okay, whether that's an option. Check the timeline. Okay, I will do that. Thank you for that bringing that up because that becomes a conflict, doesn't it? Okay great. So Ganga, please go ahead.

Gangadhar Panday: Yes I just wanted to add I want to make a small video on the history of NPOC.

Joan Kerr: Great.

Gangadhar Panday: So if everybody likes this idea, I'll go ahead.

Joan Kerr: Okay. So because...

Raoul Plommer: For sure.

Joan Kerr: Are you - yes. Are you going to be in Johannesburg?

Gangadhar Panday: I'm not sure.

Joan Kerr: Okay.

((Crosstalk))

Gangadhar Panday: I mean the election process is still on. So once it is over I will be able to get a clear idea.

Joan Kerr: Great. Is everyone okay with a video being done for the history of NPOC? Might I suggest something? Whether you're in Johannesburg or not, maybe if it can be arranged for you to do a presentation on the idea, could - because the elections are not over - it's over by the time we finished in Johannesburg, tell us what you would like to do, what kind of video you'd like to make and any input you would like from anyone. I think that might be helpful.

Gangadhar Panday: Yes.

Joan Kerr: That's a great idea.

Joan Kerr: Sorry, go ahead.

Gangadhar Panday: Yes. I would like to have some high resolution pictures from the beginning of the NPOC when you all met physically so this could be put into the video with some narration. So I need the clips, video clips, small clips, if they are available, or images, high resolution images. And once they are with

me I will write a draft narration (unintelligible) all the people and for the finalization. This will be made into narration and added to the video clip.

Joan Kerr: Okay great. Thank you. That's wonderful. So we will help you with that and want to learn more about that. So welcome, Raoul. Thank you for joining us. We're discussing the Constituency Day in Johannesburg and what we're going to do. We've gone through - just a quick information for you, we've gone through the review document, the NCUC review document and we have some options. So we'll send those to you. And now we're planning the Constituency Day in Johannesburg. And Raoul and I will actually put the program together and send it to the committee for input.

But so far what we have is the onboarding that I'm assuming we'll do on a presentation on that day and Poncelet is going to find out if someone from NCUC will come give us a presentation on I guess the go-to message is how we can work together and build bridges with them. And Ganga just mentioned that he would like to do a history of NPOC, which I think is a great idea and everybody agrees. And he'll let us know more about that.

And we want to make sure that our scheduled meeting for Constituency Day is not at the same time as NCUC so they can participate and be invited with us. (Unintelligible). So now we're on the charter review. So the charter review, I'm going to pick - Benedetta is not on this call because we've agreed to have a separate meeting with Ken and Benedetta on May 15. Is everyone okay with that?

I guess there was a doodle that went out so I guess we did get a response to that. So basically what Ken and Maryam have done is send original comments that we had in the document and integrate it into the charter because we will be going through the charter and deciding which are the ones that are better

updated or the comments. And that document will be filled with those answered and then we will have to review it again. So I think that if it's okay with everyone we can discuss the charter review on May 15. Any objections to that?

Seeing no hands raised or none. So let's move on to the NPOC election then. So the election is I guess we're in the nomination process right now. We probably should send out - maybe I'll ask Raoul to do this, not Raoul but Juan to do this, send out another communication just to the membership to say, you know, to see if we can nominate anyone and just to get the - made aware that we do have an election, or nominations, and it would only be to the active members on the updated membership (unintelligible). Is that okay, Juan, if you could do that, please? Give them a gentle reminder.

Any discussions on the election? No, I think everything is done well, myself. So no questions, no objections? Okay great. My goodness. Raoul is typing. When is the deadline to decide? Oh, yes we've got our three candidates, that's for sure. Great. Any other questions or objections? No? Okay.

Marketing materials then. We'll move on to that. Maryam, any information on the deadlines for the new design of the logo?

Maryam Bakoshi: Hi. Maryam speaking for the record. So I had a discussion with the comms team and they have taken the concepts that Joan and Juan proposed and we discussed about a few stock images that we could use to reflect this concept. And so she has gone ahead to send that to the designer. Well she said to me that we're definitely in the - in line to get this ready for Johannesburg. So fingers crossed in the next week or two we'll get, you know, the design concepts back and the team can decide from there where - which of the designs they want to use going forward. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: Great. So if I'm understanding it, it's for Johannesburg but EuroDig is before that.

((Crosstalk))

Maryam Bakoshi: Yes we might get it for EuroDig. So that's a probability. We already have printed materials without them, which Raoul can use for EuroDig. The only difference will be the logo design because we had the flyer created for us a few months ago. So that's still up to date. So we just need to change the logo. So in that case, I think we're good if we don't get the logo ready for EuroDig, but definitely we'll have that for Johannesburg. Thank you.

Joan Kerr: Okay. Thanks for that. So in any case, we will have material for Raoul to display. They're not printed but they will be ready with the old logo or with the new one, but it will be available for him. That's great. All right. So we don't have any questions, issues?

Gangadhar Panday: This is Ganga from Hyderabad. It's not a question, it more input request.

Joan Kerr: Okay.

Gangadhar Panday: Yes. Can they get to see the draft logo before it's finalized?

Maryam Bakoshi: Yes, that's...

Joan Kerr: Oh absolutely yes.

Maryam Bakoshi: We'll see a draft logo and then it will be sent to the NPOC discuss list, so not just the ExCom, and everyone will have an input to that before it is finalized.

Gangadhar Panday: Thank you so much for that.

Joan Kerr: Yes. Thank you for asking. Okay. Raoul (unintelligible) deadline for - okay. Oh we need to decide when we need to - which date we have for Constituency Day. We have to have a date. I thought that was already decided. I think it's the day that's decided but it's a time that - yes that's right. That's what I had. Thank you, Maryam. We have the time too. Okay. So what we need to know is what is NCUC's time. Do you have that handy, the NCUC are they at the same time, Maryam? No? Oh good, good, good. So we can do that invitation.

Good. Okay good. If we're having it at a different time then we can send that invite, Poncelet, as soon as possible so they're aware of that time and they can send someone. (Unintelligible) That's wonderful. Oh they don't have a Constituency Day in - okay. They don't? Really? Okay, well that's not our business I guess.

So we have a number of actions which are we - we'll send out. But any other questions or comments? Okay good. So our next - while we discuss things on our ExCom (unintelligible) we do have a meeting with Benedetta on Monday. Yes we do, Juan, on Monday. If you filled out the doodle, the time will sent and confirmation will be sent once the doodle is done.

And Martin has - please go ahead, Martin.

Martin Silva Valent: Yes, just one last thing. I mean it would be great if we can arrive to Johannesburg with a few public comments being done and we need more active members in working groups, just two or three more and especially just (unintelligible). I know if we do that just a little bit, it could make a difference on how we are perceived.

Joan Kerr: Excellent point. Yes. I hear it all the time as well. So yes, if you can really make an effort to do that. Maryam, maybe you could put down on the list, you and I or you and Poncelet can work on this, send out to the list what policies made comments on it. We can comment on it and also send it out to the membership. We may as well start that process anyway. That's an excellent point, Martin.

And since you're on the talk list, Martin, maybe you can give us an update on the GNSO, if you don't mind.

Martin Silva Valent: Of course. And just (unintelligible) I sent to the BC the (unintelligible) of the NCSG a report. I can share (unintelligible). It's much clearer because the signal out here (unintelligible) against the council. It really doesn't openly talk about every detail. Most of the work has been (unintelligible) the council. The discussions are very, very specific like this wording or this thing. So I already done the report. I'm waiting for the final approval of the BC to be reached and I can send it to the NPOC discussion list. It would be much more useful than just trying to comment on the (unintelligible) because we need much more context than I give (unintelligible).

Joan Kerr: Okay. Well maybe that's something that we should be putting on our agenda all the time (unintelligible) so that when we're on that we know what we have to be aware of and so that's part of the development as well, right? So we'll know what's going on and what we have to do. So we should have that as an agenda item all the time.

All right. Well are there any other - is your hand still up, Martin, or is that an old hand? Okay great. Thank you. Any other comments? Any other business? Seeing none. Well, Raoul, you have the last word.

Raoul Plommer: I'll just say that I'm looking forward to succeeding you as the chair.

Joan Kerr: Thank you. Let me just say what a wonderful job that you guys have done for the website. It's really exciting to see it and it's really, you know, almost like a new message. It's new and it's very streamlined, and really great job. And I think the communication has been fantastic and I really, really, really see good things for NPOC. And I think we have a really great group that's working together and has a lot of synergy together. And that's what make a committee great is when everyone works together.

The only other thing I have to say is I'm a little unhappy that we don't have the funds that were transferred as of today. I think (Sun)'s on the line. (Sun), are you on the line? It would have been great to sort of write that off but we're dealing with that at the moment. So you need to (unintelligible) policy, help our policy chair and our - get that going, and I think it's great. So thank you all. I think - I'm happy. So here we go. So thank you again and we will talk on Skype and via e-mail. And if there are no other questions, I'd like to call this meeting to a close.

Woman: Thank you.

Man: Thank you, Joan.

Woman: Thank you.

Woman: Thank you.

Maryam Bakoshi: Thank you very much, Joan. Thank you very much everyone for attending the call. Phil, you may disconnect all lines and stop the recording. Thank you.
Goodbye.

END