[NPOC-EC] Notes of call on NPOC outreach

Joan Kerr joankerr at fbsc.org
Wed Jul 17 16:56:49 UTC 2019

Hi Jean-Jacques, All

Thank you for the notes!
Regards,

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 11:50 AM Jean-Jacques Sahel <
jean-jacques.sahel at icann.org> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Thanks very much for a productive call last week to discuss NPOC’s vision
> for outreach going forwards, including at ICANN66 in Montreal.
>

> As promised, I wanted to share with the ExCo these notes of the call, and
> taking into account any further feedback you may have, we would now start
> collating the relevant material, ahead of their use at a Montreal
> brainstorming and planning session, then at subsequent webinars and
> participation in external events.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Best wishes,
>

> Jean-Jacques
>

> *Call NPOC - ICANN Org on Outreach including Marketing materials for
> Montreal*
>

> *11 July 2019*
>

> *Montreal session to brainstorm and plan outreach*
>

>    - This would be a Joint seminar with ALAC such as the one conducted in
>    Kobe; they would look to do the same in Montreal, exchanging on existing
>    content and collaterals, and how to enhance and develop them.
>

>    - Goal of the session:
>
> 1 - find out what are the needs of the members – including better
> introduction documents to the constituencies; and crystallising what each
> does
>
> 2 – identify what resources are missing
>
> 3 – refining the draft content / collaterals
>

>    - Audience: existing members of ALAC and NPOC
>

>    - The discussion would include discussing what are NPOC needs for
>    outreach overall, including budget, this FY and beyond.
>

>    - *Content / collaterals* to be considered and refined:
>       - How ICANN works; What are the differences between At Large; NPOC;
>       NCUC – defining NPOC
>       - Updating the beginner’s guide
>       - Postcards
>       - 2 page flyer
>       - Detailed content (slides, backgrounders) to be used notably
>       during future 90 minute long webinars aimed at the external non profit
>       audiences
>

> *Rest of the year (and beyond)*
>

> Outreach for NPOC essentially would have 2 separate campaigns: outreach
> and inreach
>

>    1. Outreach: webinars on DNS and why important to them; then How to
>    write policy statements and becoming involved in PDPs
>

> Topics for webinars / backgrounders:
>
>    - Domain Name Fraud
>    - Intellectual Property Abuse
>    - Privacy
>    - Security, Stability and Resiliency
>    - Transparent registration and continued ownership of domain names
>

>    - All from the perspective of non profits / NGOs
>

>    1. ‘In-reach’: [building capacity of] existing members who can help
>    with the policies; identifying the operational policy aspects – 4
>    priorities identified – in their outreach plan?
>

> *External activities to reach an outside audience of non profits
> interested in digital policy issues *
>
>    - (global) IGF
>    - Rightscon
>    - Eurodig
> [...]

Joan Kerr, Entrepreneur, Artist, Humanitarian

_____________________________________

Chair, Climate Smart Victory Garden Team

Chair, ICANN, Not for Profit Operations Constituency

Chair, IEEE Sustainable Agriculture Working Group

Chair, Science for Peace, Climate Smart Victory Gardens

Advisor, IEEE Humanitarian Initiatives Committee

Advisor, Climate Smart Agriculture Youth Network, (CSAYN) Canada

UN WSIS Award Recipient, for Content & Creativity

Durham Region Recipient, Community Partnership Award

Founder, Foundation for Building Sustainable Communities

www.joankerr.ca, www.fbsc.org

Skype: joankerr_fbsc

1-416-907-0783