[NPOC-EC] Joint session NPOC/ALAC

Joan Kerr joankerr at fbsc.org
Tue Mar 26 20:56:07 UTC 2019

Dear Siranush,

I am writing this email on my own behalf

I am writing to express my dismay that the Fellows did not stay for the
NPOC/ALAC joint session held on March 11th, in Kobe, Japan

Leading up the Event, a lot of consideration was given to the messaging and
the outcome.  One of the expected outcomes was the input of the attendees
to let us know firsthand what NPOC could do to encourage their
participattion.    It was significant due to the collaborative and
informational nature of the session. It was designed around audience
participation.  Both the ALAC Chair and I thought it significant to have an
interactive session.  Fellows would have the opportunity to ask questions
of both groups and create meaningful dialogue and networks. There were
presentations on ALAC, NPOC and a citizen GDPR initiative, topics that
would educate and engage the Fellows.

There were a number of Fellow who expressed their disappointment for not
being able to stay to hear the presentations and ask questions to both NPOC
and ALAC.  We were equally disappointed.

Here are my concerns:
1) ICANN Staff is responsible for the meeting schedule, combined with the
invitation, how difficult is it to schedule  for the meetings, how hard is
it to work within the schedule to enable Fellows to attend sessions that
would significantly educate them;
2) How can Fellows work with NPOC; and
3) How can we ensure that, at least from NPOC's perspective that we work
more closely to engage the Fellows in the future.

As NPOC move forward, the expectation is to incorporate more Fellows to
give back to the community and become more attached to the Constituency

Thanks,

--

Joan Kerr,

Entrepreneur, Artist, Humanitarian

T: +1 (416) 907-0783

Skype: joankerr_fbsc

fbsc.org, www.joankerr.ca

Chair: Victory Garden Leadership Implementation Team

Chair, Sustainable Agriculture, Global Humanitarian Technology Conference

Chair: IEEE Smart Villages Project, Sustainable Agriculture Working Group

Chair: ICANN Not for Profit Operational Concerns Constituency

Recipient of the United Nations Civil Society Award (WSIS 2004)

Recipient, Region of Durham Community Partnership Award

Advisor, IEEE Humanitarian Initiatives Committee

Advisor, Climate Smart Agriculture Youth Network, (CSAYN) Global
Coordination Unit