[NPOC-EC] Health Advisory from ICANN :An Update on the Coronavirus and Its Impact on ICANN

Joan Kerr joankerr at fbsc.org
Sat Feb 1 02:19:58 UTC 2020

Thanks for posting, Caleb.

Joan

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 9:09 PM Caleb Olumuyiwa Ogundele <
muyiwacaleb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Blog Post by : Simon Garside, Vice President, Security Operations
>
> As you are likely aware, there has been an outbreak of a new coronavirus,
> 2019-Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCOV), which was first identified in Wuhan,
> China. The virus has spread, with confirmed cases currently in 18
> countries. The World Health Organization (WHO) has concluded that this is a
> Global Health Emergency.
>
> The health and safety of ICANN’s global community is a top priority and
> ICANN org is closely monitoring the situation. Out of an abundance of
> caution, the org has implemented a unilateral travel ban on all flights to
> and from China (inclusive of Hong Kong and Macau) that applies to all org
> staff. This travel ban includes connecting flights. Because of the global
> nature of this emergency, the health of ICANN funded-travelers is also at
> risk, and we intend to work with the community leadership to ensure their
> safety as well. We also recommend that non-essential travel worldwide,
> particularly to and from those countries that are affected by the virus, be
> reconsidered in light of this outbreak.
>
> While we do not anticipate that 2019-nCOV will impact upcoming ICANN events,
> we will update the community as soon as possible in the event that a change
> is deemed appropriate. As of now, we fully intend to move forward with
> ICANN67 <https://meetings.icann.org/en/cancun67> in Cancún, Mexico.
>
> I encourage you to read the WHO’s advice for the public
> <https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public> regarding
> the coronavirus, and to seek immediate medical attention if you begin
> displaying symptoms. Take all precautions at this time. If you are sick, or
> feeling poorly for any reason, avoid travel when possible. We also
> encourage you to stay apprised of the guidance and advisories being
> provided by your home country.
>
> We will continue to provide updates as more information becomes available.
> If you have any questions, please reach out to the Security Operations
> team at security-operations at icann.org.
>
> Caleb Ogundele

Joan Kerr, Entrepreneur, Artist, Humanitarian

_____________________________________

Chair, Climate Smart Victory Garden Team

Chair, ICANN, Not for Profit Operations Constituency

Chair, IEEE Sustainable Agriculture Working Group

Chair, Science for Peace, Climate Smart Victory Gardens

Advisor, IEEE Humanitarian Initiatives Committee

Advisor, Climate Smart Agriculture Youth Network, (CSAYN) Canada

UN WSIS Award Recipient, for Content & Creativity

Durham Region Recipient, Community Partnership Award

Founder, Foundation for Building Sustainable Communities

www.joankerr.ca, www.fbsc.org

Skype: joankerr_fbsc

1-416-907-0783